Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Nook Teardown

In addition to nook Rooted, nookDevs.com have a Teardown page, with more photos and details of the hardware. The CPU is a Samsung S3C6410 (unspecified clock speed), which is new for dedicated Readers, but the EInk display controller isn't listed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on the BogoMIPS, this is running at 667MHz. The same processor and clock speed as in the SmartQ 5 and 7.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Based on the BogoMIPS, this is running at 667MHz. The same processor and clock speed as in the SmartQ 5 and 7.
So this would be the fastest processor available on an Eink device, correct? Which makes the nook's slowness all the more anomalous.
Let's hope a firmware update allows users to take full advantage of that speed.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, if it's an Android then it's all java and java is slow.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
667? I may be dreaming, but I thought the 700 was running on a 1.4 ghZ...?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
667? I may be dreaming, but I thought the 700 was running on a 1.4 ghZ...?
The PRS-700 and PRS-600 are listed in the E-book Reader Matrix as using a Freescale i.MX31L at 532MHz. This is also an ARM11 core, like the S3C6410, but I don't know which is more powerful per MHz.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Thanks wallcraft.

I knew the numbers in my head were too good to be true =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Java slow, really?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
DaFlake
DaFlake began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (the Mrs's) and my Iphone
Quote:
Umm... Maybe back in 1995 but it is very fast and very stable now. Hence the reason that a lot of companies are adopting it.
DaFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Java slow, really?
Heard about dalvik vm? It's called vm for a reason.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Heard about dalvik vm? It's called vm for a reason.
You are generalising.
VMs can be slow - bad software can also be slow. Java isn't the only VM platform out - .NET comes to mind ...
I've seen some very fast Java solutions in my time. A large chunk of mission critical enterprise applications and systems run on JVM, very fast and very stable.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
You are generalising.
VMs can be slow - bad software can also be slow. Java isn't the only VM platform out - .NET comes to mind ...
I've seen some very fast Java solutions in my time. A large chunk of mission critical enterprise applications and systems run on JVM, very fast and very stable.
Talk about generalizations. The "large chunk of mission critical enterprise applications and systems" don't run on the Snapdragon CPU tho, they run on multi-CPU multi-core 64bit systems.

Are you really trying to convince me that the well-written code that needs to be translated to the object code in VM is as fast as the actual object code?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
DaFlake

Quote:
Talk about generalizations. The "large chunk of mission critical enterprise applications and systems" don't run on the Snapdragon CPU tho, they run on multi-CPU multi-core 64bit systems.

Are you really trying to convince me that the well-written code that needs to be translated to the object code in VM is as fast as the actual object code?

Wait, so you slap him for generalizing and then you do it?

Many systems are running JAVA code now and running it well. As a JAVA programmer I can attest to this. Even the military is using it on... wait for it...

MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS! I won't even bring up all the sites that are running JSP or servlets to do their business.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Wait, so you slap him for generalizing and then you do it?

Many systems are running JAVA code now and running it well. As a JAVA programmer I can attest to this. Even the military is using it on... wait for it...

MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS! I won't even bring up all the sites that are running JSP or servlets to do their business.
Good one guys! I can see both points here. But, I'm afraid this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" arguments. I just have a problem with blanket generalisations and label sticking (aka "oh this is java, slap a "slow" sticker on it").

This argument has been around for donkey years. There is no substitute for good design and good software engineering.
You can cut your code in VI editor using nothing but 1's and 0's, and have it leak memory like a sieve and run like a three legged dog. At the same time I have Java apps running on my Nokia phone which are just fine.

To paraphrase the old NRA motto "Java doesn't make programs slow, programmers do"

Cheers!

PS: Ah, I did dig that "Mission Critical Systems" hole pretty deep didn't I . I think I'll need a ladder to climb out ...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
DaFlake

Very true!