Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-16-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Anyone actually part of the test trial?

OK I understand that a handful of people here had a chance to play with the iRex iLiad or to even call it their own.

But weren't there supposed to be another 200 participants to participate in a trial with the Belgian newspaper De Tijd? The trial was supposed to start in March, was then delayed to April, and is said to take three months. Please don't tell me that problems related to the iRex Web store led to a delay of the trial....

Even if these participants haven't heard of this site before, a simple Google for "irex iliad" would have easily brought them here.

Oh, did I mention that the page describing the trial has gone missing?

Link: http://www.tijd.be/epaper
Google Cache: http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Please don't tell me that problems related to the iRex Web store led to a delay of the trial....
I dont think Irex web store problems exist indeed...
At the least they forgot to write software for their device
They are not able to write it themselves, they can't do order at thier site, can't correct their mythical webshop problems for a month and a half...
It's the same old story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Oh, did I mention that the page describing the trial has gone missing?

Link: http://www.tijd.be/epaper
Google Cache: http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
Here is something
http://e-paper.i-merge.net/field_trial.htm

The end-date of field trial is 30 June. I bet, we will not see Iliad's release till that day.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Interesting observation. Perhaps the participants had to sign some kind of NDC? Sounds ridiculous, I know, especially since others like Henrique are seemingly free to post about the iLiad, but other than that I can only imagine that the trial hasn't even started yet as an explanation for no active participants showing up here.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
I dont think Irex web store problems exist indeed...
At the least they forgot to write software for their device
They are not able to write it themselves, they can't do order at thier site, can't correct their mythical webshop problems for a month and a half...
It's the same old story.

Here is something
http://e-paper.i-merge.net/field_trial.htm

The end-date of field trial is 30 June. I bet, we will not see Iliad's release till that day.

look at the powerpoint pesentation ....

... Volgende stappen:
Verwerken resultaten trial project (eind augustus rapport)
Opzetten commercial partnership(s) rond service(s) in september – oktober.
Commerciële lancering (Q4 ‘06 – Q1 ‘07)

.... is the lancering only for the newspaper "de Tijd" or for the iliad ???

Andreas
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
The last I heard there was a small number of trial participant who already received their devices...unfortunately I can't remember who postet that where.

I am also wondering why nobody has reported in here, but if I heard correctly the audience of De Tijd is not really the audience of internet communities like mobileread and teleread...^^

There is also the Italian trial and several others that are forthcoming...there were newspaper articles about it and everything...but things are dangerously quiet now...I just hope something definite happens soon...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The last I heard there was a small number of trial participant who already received their devices...unfortunately I can't remember who postet that where.

I am also wondering why nobody has reported in here, but if I heard correctly the audience of De Tijd is not really the audience of internet communities like mobileread and teleread...^^

There is also the Italian trial and several others that are forthcoming...there were newspaper articles about it and everything...but things are dangerously quiet now...I just hope something definite happens soon...

I hoe as well; this waiting is weaing me out. But as Tadw mentioned it is really unlikely that a simple webstore problem is what delays the product.

Maybe they found a critical bug in they hard/soft
Maybe the are piling up on units for the great launch day
Maybe they just have a few prototype units (i sure hope this is not true)
Or maybe they do indeed have a webstore issue

In any case, I cant wait to force 540 Euro on them
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I have just had a minor moan at them via their information request form in the hopes of provoking a response.

I was really looking forward to the Iliad. I'm now considering going for one of the alternatives even if the Iliad is released first. Simply because I feel that Irex have at the very least misled their prospective customers.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I did the same, but i'm not expecting a response. They answer my questions ever since I contacted them through www.ebookmedia.de (Jörg Wrobel), but they ignore questions about delays...:-)

But then...which company doesn't...
Old 05-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Simply because I feel that Irex have at the very least misled their prospective customers.
By stating that there is a problem with the webshop?

As far as I can see Irex is a -very- small busines that seems a little overwhelmed by the attention it must be getting from lots of interested people from all around the world.
Delaying the Iliad seems to me a wise action to get things ready to ship out to customers.

I can wait.
Mankind has been handling all its affairs for many centuries without the benefit of an Iliad, I think it can manage a few weeks more.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
But you know it is... showing an e-book addict a piece of hardware such as the iRex iLiad and then holding it back, well, it's like allowing a kid to hold a piece of chocolate but not to actually eat it.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

you are right High 5,

BUT:

communication is the key factor here...we all know from Henrycat's comments, that the Iliad is not late due to webshop problems (though this is part of the problem) but due to software troubles that weren't caused by iRex. Telling people this openly would actually take part of the blame away from iRex instead of making people suspicious...
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5
By stating that there is a problem with the webshop?
Not just that no. Though we know this isn't the whole problem so this is a part of it.

Quote:
As far as I can see Irex is a -very- small busines that seems a little overwhelmed by the attention it must be getting from lots of interested people from all around the world.
Thats not the point. How long would it take for them to update their website with:

"We apologise for the delay of the lauch of our product but we seriously underestimated demand and we want to ensure there are enough units at launch"

or

"Due to an unforeseen issue we have had to delay the launch a little further. We apologise for this but we want to ensure that our product is the very best that it can be"

30 seconds? a minute at most?

Quote:
Delaying the Iliad seems to me a wise action to get things ready to ship out to customers.
I would have no problem if the company came out and said that.

They have said the shop would be open in April (and parts of their website still says this). They then admitted to a delay and gave the date May 10th. May 10th then passed and they have officially said nothing!

Lying by omission is still lying.

Last edited by Riocaz; 05-16-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
They have said the shop would be open in April (and parts of their website still says this). They then admitted to a delay and gave the date May 10th. May 10th then passed and they have officially said nothing!

Lying by omission is still lying.

I agree with your entire post, but I don't believe I ever saw, anywhere on their site the date of May 10th. All I have ever seen in the webshop was that the webshops opening would be delayed from April 2006 to May 2006. I think the 10th was supposed to be the date where Irex was supposed to provide information from one of their events or something.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Riocaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23
I agree with your entire post, but I don't believe I ever saw, anywhere on their site the date of May 10th. All I have ever seen in the webshop was that the webshops opening would be delayed from April 2006 to May 2006. I think the 10th was supposed to be the date where Irex was supposed to provide information from one of their events or something.
Sorry I should have attributed that properly.

It was in their statement at Teleread:

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=4764

Quote:
We are delayed. The new date is expected throughout May.

*SNIP*

Most likely around May 10th, we will (finally) start actively using our website for communication.
Which re-reading it doesn't state that the web-shop will be open on May 10th, but does say they would provide more info then. Well it's the 17th now.

Last edited by Riocaz; 05-17-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
I would have no problem if the company came out and said that.
I never even knew things like these could be a problem.
As long as I am not forced at gunpoint to buy things from Irex, they can jolly well do as they please as far as I am concerned.
If I don't like a company or the products they make, I simply don't buy there.
It is a basic form of freedom.

And the same reason I never became a politician, emigrated to the United States or any other underdeveloped country, converted myself to hinduism, learned to speak Swahili or ever bought a cruise missile.
(acually that last bit is more because of a lack of money)

I shall buy an Iliad as soon as it becomes available though.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote