Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 04-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
minimalposter
minimalposter began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Sunrise V0.42j (mac) no longer updating

I am a long time sunrise user (PC and just recently -- January -- switched to apple). I have never had a problem before until Friday. Now Sunrise just freezes and will not update. I wonder if it is a java problem for two reasons:

1) java files were auto updated on Friday
2) sunrise icon turns into the java icon (coffee cup with pen) when the app freezes

Anyone else having this problem recently? I know the majority of users on this forum are PC users and, Laurens, it seems like you are spending most of your time on Sunrise XP understandably - but there has to be a mac user somewhere

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
pbarthelemy
pbarthelemy began at the beginning.

Yes, I confirm the issue : same on my iMac ( PPC, with OS X 10.4 ) and the latest JAVA update

--pbarthelemy
Advert
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
minimalposter

Thanks for confirming the problem. Now we just have to trouble solve. I guess the best answer would be to go back to the last version of java?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
minimalposter

Sorry for the bump Anyone have a good idea (or Mac guru on how to revert to the last java -- a google search did not do a lot for me).
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I e-mailed the person responsible for the Mac distribution. Hopefully, this is resolved soon. Can't help you out, as I don't have a Mac.
Advert
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
minimalposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I e-mailed the person responsible for the Mac distribution. Hopefully, this is resolved soon. Can't help you out, as I don't have a Mac.
Thanks Laurens!! You are always so helpful!

-- mp
Old 04-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Sawtooth
Sawtooth has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Clié SJ22
Hello,

I looked into it, and I have found a workaround. The downside is that you will _always_ have to Force Quit Sunrise (it will always hang on quit). I need to do more tests to find a better solution.

Workaround:
- Control-click on the Sunrise application package
- Choose "Show Package Contents"
- In Contents/MacOS/, there is a file named "runsun". Open it* in TextEdit (in plain text mode, not rich text mode) or TextWrangler or any other text editor
- Before "-Djava.library.path", add "-Djava.awt.headless=true ".
- Save, close, and Sunrise should now convert pages just fine.

*Or replace the file with the one attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip runsun.zip (378 Bytes, 688 views)
Old 04-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Sawtooth

Well, it seems that that's all I can do for now. I think I've tested every possible solution, and the one above is the one that works best. I'll upload a new binary with the workaround, even though I don't like releasing an app that crashes on quit.

On a side note, I still use JPluck 2.1.6b, and it works fine (but slower than Sunrise).
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
I will confirm that your fix works too Sawtooth. I just installed the Java update this morning. Shoot, I wish I would have saw this thread first. .
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

I've noticed my entire machine has not been running well since l installed the new version of Java
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
blainecross
blainecross began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie TJ-37
I'm not on a Mac but

I too have noticed problems with Sunrise v 0.42J no longer working properly. I run it on Windows XP SP2. I've noticed problems over the last few days, in which my normal Auto Update won't happen -- Sunrise is running, but when I notice that the Auto Update hasn't run, and switch Sunrise to an active window, then Sunrise quits, without updating. I have to restart it and then it immediately Auto Updates.

This isn't a huge problem, and I'll put up with it, but I wonder if it relates to some system change. I'm not aware of getting any Java update recently, but I may not have noticed it since my Windows setup automatically updates itself regularly (group policies require it).

I tried switching to Sunrise XP a while ago, but it was not working as I wanted then -- no "Send to Sunrise" was the show stopper. I've read that Sunrise XP now has that capability. Perhaps its time.
Blaine
Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
johnsoax
Connoisseur

Any news on a new release? I just forced quit sunrise again, as it was using over 100 megs of ram while not doing anything.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
jobooth321
jobooth321 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T|X
Just updated the runsun with the above file and still not getting updates. Any news? I'm having to go back to Avantgo! Ack
Old 10-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Sawtooth

Well, I haven't tested Sunrise in a while (I'm still using JPluck 2.1.6b which works perfectly --and fast, now that I've got a new Mac-- for my needs, even on Intel); maybe one of the recent updates broke something.

I've been working full time for the last few months, so I can't say when/if I will release an update. I tried updating the package with the latest version of SWT last month, but it was still not working properly (crash on quit or during updates).
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
johnsoax
Connoisseur

Well, Mine is working great.

It updates just fine, and as long as I right click on the dock icon and select "Quit" it quits without the crash.