Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader supports more e-book formats natively than we thought

Keen readers may have noticed that Sony is slowly working on wrapping up its CONNECT e-book webstore. Although their site is still up and down like a yoyo here, our reader TaKir was able to make the following pleasant discovery through one of Sony's FAQ pages:

The Sony Reader will be in Sony's BBeB format; however, the Reader will support PDF, TXT, RTF, MP3 and JPG as native formats with no conversions needed. The Sony Reader software will also be able to convert Microsoft Word documents into RTF files to be read.

That's great news especially for Mac users who may or may not be able to use Sony's conversion tool to convert other e-book formats into the proprietary BBeB format.

According to the same FAQ, the Sony Reader is slated to be available in summer 2006 (and not in spring 2006 as previously mentioned).

Related: Adobe blogger on Sony's BBeB format, Sony's new e-book reader officially announced
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
marc59
marc59 began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is great news. As I will use the ebook reader mainly for PDFs, I see no reason anymore to buy the iRex. The extra's simply do not justify the iRex' high price.

Last edited by marc59; 04-18-2006 at 09:23 AM.
marc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Do bear in mind that there's no support for reflowing text in PDFs, according to an Adobe blog. PDFs must be formatted for the Sony's dimensions. That said, most PDFs do not have the structural tags necessary for letting a viewer reflow its text in the first place.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
VERY Cool! It does appear that Sony may be getting a clue about formats. Perhaps the new CEO is kicking some butt....

I suppose it should be no suprise that it will be delayed (maybe due to the format support?) - damn near everything new is delayed and compared to stuff like games, this is minor. I guess I will just order a half dozen or so paperbacks to tide me over.....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
The Sony Reader software will also be able to convert Microsoft Word documents into RTF files to be read.
Why wouldn't I just use MSWord to convert MSWord files to RTF?

The rest of it does sound promising, though.

Last edited by NatCh; 04-18-2006 at 11:23 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Summer! Damnit!
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Summer! Damnit!
No S**t! I wonder if any comany in tech history ever actually beat a projected release date? <g>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Why wouldn't I just use MSWord to convert MSWord files to RTF?
Beats me, considering that Microsoft's convertor is pretty good unless you file has really complicated formatting.

Do I hear Fall? Going, going...
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
frostedflake
frostedflake began at the beginning.

If you download a Word document, you don't necessarily have Word to view or convert with. Does MS still have a free viewer?
frostedflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, I'll admit that is a possible scenario, though I think it's pretty unlikely.

If Sony's converter is really easy to use, that might be another reason to use it, I suppose, but I'm still thinking it's going to mostly be one of those submarine screen door features: not much use, but doesn't really cost or otherwise hurt anything.

Beat their release date? These days I'd be impressed if a company just got within ICBM range of its release dates.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflake
If you download a Word document, you don't necessarily have Word to view or convert with. Does MS still have a free viewer?
WordPad on Windows, TextEdit on OS X, or OpenOffice on just about anything would probably do the trick.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
frostedflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70
WordPad on Windows, TextEdit on OS X, or OpenOffice on just about anything would probably do the trick.
Or the Sony Reader software? Sony can't not provide converters where needed. People demand or require an in-the-box solution or they will point to where it is lacking. People won't necessarily have Office or even OpenOffice, or even know about it. That reminds me that I need to try OpenOffice.

Also with a converter, you should not have convert files individually, and it may be done automatically thru transfer to the reader like ActiveSync on Pocket PC (Word to Pocket Word).

Whether it is a native files or converters (with respect to pdf), I hope there is not bad compatibility.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
frostedflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Okay, I'll admit that is a possible scenario, though I think it's pretty unlikely.
Personally, I never open downloaded Word files with MS Word, but I suppose some people do. So yes it may be an unlikely scenario, and the converter is probably more for your own files.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Sony can't not provide converters where needed.
Sure they can.

Convert .LIT files? Outta luck.

Convert .PDB files? No can do.

Mobipocket files? Tough luck.

Okay, how about Microsoft Excel?

...and the list goes on. I suspect this was more a "low hanging fruit" things easy to implement rather than something the managers said "we gotta have this!".
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:33 AM   #15
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Do bear in mind that there's no support for reflowing text in PDFs, according to an Adobe blog. PDFs must be formatted for the Sony's dimensions. That said, most PDFs do not have the structural tags necessary for letting a viewer reflow its text in the first place.
I've always had issues with the PDF flowing on my mobile devices,un-tagged pdfs,etc. Using repligo has a solution.

I'm eager to see how Sony handles this.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote