Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
perrinjcat
perrinjcat began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro 5
Random Freezes

Hello all,
I just got an EZ Reader from ebay (so warranty assistance is likely out of the question). I updated the firmware first thing and started loading books on it. They are mobi format ebooks. My problem is this. When I am reading, after about eight or nine pages, the unit will freeze. No page turning, no menus. the only way to get it working again is to turn it off and restart. It has happened on more than one occasion. I reinstalled the firmware, just to be safe. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help
perrinjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Welcome to the Group.

Did you charge the unit for at least 12 hours or until the "Remove plug" icon replaces the "Lightning Bolt" on the Battery Symbol?

What book format were you viewing?
What is the file size?

Sometimes, Holding the Return button for 10 seconds returns.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
perrinjcat

It is on the charger now (since last night). I have not used it since then. I will see if that helps
Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
perrinjcat

No change. I was reading a book and it froze again. I will see if I can convert my book to different format and see if that helps. It has done it to three different books but they were all mobi files
Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I had a similar issue with my PP when reading mobi files that I had created using Calibre. Unsure what the exact issue was but converting to fb2 or epub solved the problem (as much as I love fb2 I mainly using epub again - too damn slow fb2 is).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Mine has been doing the same thing. I hadn't connected the problem to mobipocket, but looking back it did start about the time I switched over from ePub.

That's irritating since I was starting to enjoy mobipocket format better than ePub.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Mine has been doing the same thing. I hadn't connected the problem to mobipocket, but looking back it did start about the time I switched over from ePub.

That's irritating since I was starting to enjoy mobipocket format better than ePub.
I just converted a book from ePub to mobi to try it out (I used Calibre to convert it) - mainly to get the better fonts. I read for well over an hour last night with no problems.

Are you all using the very latest firmware?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I got 2 mobi files but it reads fine on my Pocket Pro. It was also converted on Calibre.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
To elaborate a bit: I've been reading a series of books that I originally downloaded in DRM'd ereader. I stripped the DRM using ereader2HTML and converted the resulting HTML file to mobi using mobipocket creator. I imported the files into Calibre to edit the metadata and store, but I never did any conversion.

I've been reading this series that way for most of the last week, and noticing that my PP would freeze up when left untouched for any length of time. By last night it had gotten bad enough that I came here looking for some help. After reading this thread I converted my current book to ePub and haven't had any problems since.

This particular series has given me all kinds of problems.

I started reading it as ePub, but there was a large chunk missing or undisplayable on my PP in the second book. It showed up fine when I opened the book in Calibre's viewer.

I originally tried to work with the book I'm currently on in MS .lit format, but ConvertLit didn't work on it. I've gotten it to work on everything else, but not this one.

Maybe the publisher is doing something weird.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
perrinjcat

ebook converted to epub. I will see what happens....
Old 11-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Mine keeps freezing on the keyboard locked screen after it sits for awhile (hours rather than minutes). I have to shutdown and restart. ** Note this is while reading mobipocket files, not tested with epub. **

All and all, I am enjoying my pocketbook 360 more since it doesn't have any freeze problems. I am trying to decide what to do with the PocketPro.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
perrinjcat

I have been reading epub with no problems. Seems like the issue was mobi
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You are still an Astak owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrinjcat View Post
I have been reading epub with no problems. Seems like the issue was mobi

Dear perrinjcat:

Despite you bought it on eBay you still can email to Astak for help. We are not turning down anyone. You are not covered by warranty... but you are welcome to our advice.

Despite everything said above, it STILL sounds like a charge life problem. Are you turning off the unit before you connect it to the computer or A/C charger? If it then turns itself on your know your cable is good.

Are you pushing the "7" button or other numbered button (NOT the big black button)when prompted on the screen, to charge? Are you then seeing a blinking orange LED light in the upper left corner? What are you seeing on the battery charge gauge when charging? Do you see a lightning bolt when charging over the battery charge gauge?

If still a problem, email support@astak.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See this is the danger of Ebay....unless you can get a refund.

Probably end up costing you more than a new one.

Of course it could be the book(s) -- does it always lock up in the same place? Does it lock up only on certain books or all books, does format matter?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
A little more info on my freezing problem. I don't seem to have a freeze if I just let the Pocket Pro sit without locking it.... seems be linked to locking it somehow. I am using mobipocket books so may be related to that format. And I am also using a custom loaded font (Aller) so be related to that as well.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote