Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Unofficial russian software ;3

Software by Broda and Amutin

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12053 - summary

1. ver. amutin: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12053
2. ver. boroda: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12146

use google translator or sth.

-Ads russian,polish fonts and so on..,russian language
-Clock
-now "hand notes" and the reader itself are faster ;]

If the simmilar thread is here somewhere .. delete my post

If not.. add some info for me.. (i do not have much time now..sry )

ps. Reflashing does not format your reader..

Enjoy

Check out versions for other PRS models (700,300 and so on)

http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

Last edited by osowiecki; 11-18-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Do not want to add another topic
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
quite interesting.

I will wait for others to report on this before trying my own device, but I'm excited about even simple things like a clock.. and hope this opens the door to other things people want (sudoku app, cross word app - yes i know you can load in jpgs and write on top - wifi sd card, dictionary editing, etc)
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Finally some breakthroughs in opening up the Touch! Especially the clock I would welcome, I cannot fathom why Sony would not offer this option. Too bad it's all Russian though, anyone know if an english community is doing the same thing? After all, they've proven that it can be done, and surely there are more english speaking users than russians?
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

The forum itself is russian..true
But the FLASH offers English language
I'll look around..after all they propably know English, right ?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
osowiecki
Connoisseur

oh..btw.. there are software versions for other models of PRS ..check for yourself

http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

Last edited by osowiecki; 11-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
querty
querty began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
When the hack is ready for putting the fonts you choose in the reader (for me: vietnamese fonts), I'll buy the prs600 (for now I stick to my prs505).
I can't understand why the Sony people don't help you guys, when all you are trying to do (a lot of works beside your own job) is to improve their product.
querty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
Bricking?

I'm curious whether it's possible to brick your reader by flashing some invalid image (or because of errors in the process).

I would be more confident in trying such hacks if I knew that the unit responsible for reflashing is independent of the running OS/image (so that I can always revert to the original image in case something goes wrong).
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have the clock! I have the clock! Once more: I have the clock! I bit the bullet and tried the russian hack/firmware update and I ran all the AVG and Malware programs I could to make sure, then I ran it (it was absolutely painless) and after the update, and reboot I have the clock! Now I will have to see if anything else was added. I will have to read the translated site a couple of times!

I used this method.

Last edited by jedavis1; 11-19-2009 at 09:34 AM.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a hack that does not change the fonts or Russify the 600 and just adds in the clock?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
jedavis1
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a hack that does not change the fonts or Russify the 600 and just adds in the clock?
I have lived in the Midwest of USA my entire life, I know a little French and a smattering of Spanish, but I know absolutely NO Russian. So to answer your question, yes! When you run the flasher (follow the 1st post in the forum I pointed to) and just don't change the language from English to Russian. I still have English dictionary, qwerty keyboard, English fonts and everything. I haven't perused the entirety of the functions, but everything LOOKS to be english. My clock/calendar are the same format as before, except I have a clock. There was a mention of the books sorting correctly as an additional benefit, I am not entirely sure what this means...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
There was a mention of the books sorting correctly as an additional benefit, I am not entirely sure what this means...
See if the books are sorted by author's first name or last name.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
jedavis1
Zealot

They are sorted by 1st name. I will have to check my meta data to see how the sorting field is listed.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
so now all you great programmers out there can try to do some fun things:

fonts? more languages? more dictionaries?

Maybe add qlickables at the bottom or top of the page, such as going in and out of note mode, a quick bookmark, highlighting, or drawing button?

i was also quite curious why when you bring up the context menu, you always have to scroll down to the bottom options of delete, info, and orientation... but the context menu could easily fit on the page, without needing a scroll. I'm not really sure why they did that.
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiC View Post
I'm curious whether it's possible to brick your reader by flashing some invalid image
Yes, it is possible.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
jedavis1
Zealot

After 24 hours, I am still going okay. I haven't seen any side effects... battery life still seems okay, Reader hasn't melted...

Tags
prs 300, prs 505, prs 600, prs 700