Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
sajje
sajje began at the beginning.

Device: noen
What case is the best for a Sony Reader?

Im buying a sony reader (300 or 600) and was looking at a case. i want your opinion why one model is better than the others. I cant see any purpose to have the case "stuck" to the reader while reading, is there any?

Here are the diffrent types that im intrested in:
M-Edge Touring Sleeve for Sony Reader Touch Edition
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...DIZM2&v=glance

Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition Cover with Light - Black :
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-R...8460089&sr=8-2

M-Edge Platform Jacket for Sony Reader Touch Edition
http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Platfor...460061&sr=8-13

M-Edge Latitude Jacket for Sony Reader Touch Edition
http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Latitud...460132&sr=8-44

Sony Digital Reader Standard Cover Touch - Black
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-R...460244&sr=1-12

so why should i take one or not one model?
is there any case included with the orignal Reader?
sajje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Hi sajje. I like to have the Reader in a leather cover when I'm reading. This is for two reasons. The first is that it feels nicer to hold than the Reader's housing. The second is that you have less chance it will slip out of your hands. The Reader is quite slippery.

I just received the Cover with light for the PRS300 and it is quite nice. Tonight I will test the light! In the dark of course.

Last edited by diabloNL; 11-17-2009 at 07:57 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
erio
erio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I agree with diabloNL.. and i don't really want to make my reader all full of fingerprints...

i was about to buy a Trifold Cover,because it was very simple (more info here--> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=trifold+sony ) but then i found this oberon guys and i loved their covers... so i bought the opposite to simple cover... lol

http://www.oberondesign.com/Sony.php
erio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I found all the Reader cover prices to be insanely stupid. Not a chance I'd be willing to pay $25 and up for a cover. The maximum I'd conciser acceptable for a cover is maybe around $10.

So what I did was visit a Goodwill store (you can look at any place that has cheap used books) and find some hardbacks that are the right thickness to be a good fit for the reader. I cut the pages out (don't buy anything with the pages glued to the spine) and trimmed the boards to be barely wider/taller than the Reader. Cover the boards with the fabric of your choice and hold the Reader in place with Velcro. I have 4 covers now that I made, with the cost of materials being less than the cost of one "real" cover. And they serve the only real purpose of a cover-- giving the screen some protection from scratching or cracking.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I commute to work on a bus daily, and travel some, so to me, protection is #1. I want to be able to throw my 600 in my bag and not have to worry that it is perfectly sandwiched between things to protect the screen. I really don't like that the Sony cover is so soft. So, I spent big to get what I feel is the best setup for protection and usability.

I got the Sony Standard cover (I've already written about how I feel about the cover with light) and a BookArmor cover edition (found here http://www.ecaddycase.com/coveredition.html). I got the Sony cover for $17.99 with a 40% off Borders coupon, and the BookArmor is $35. So yes, about $60 (with shipping and all) for this.

The BookArmor is a form fitting zipper case with plastic and metal inserts to keep the screen safe. They have a version that you clip your unit into "naked", but it looks pretty janky. The cover edition holds your reader in place using the Sony cover. So, when I'm traveling to work, I zip everything up and it stays nice and safe. When I get to work, I pull the reader out of the BookArmor case, but leave it in the Sony case so it doesn't get scuffed up laying around. That way it stays protected without the slightly bulkier case. I've been using this setup for about a week now, and it's great. The bonus is that the case gives me something to clip my reading light to on the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0117.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	39415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0118.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	39416  
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I have the M-edge Executive case and I love it. Very sturdy, very rigid, nice looking, too.

I'd like a platform case to read while I'm eating, but I'll wait for a sale.

All the M-edge cases are well-made.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Here is a picture I took with my phone. I really love this Sony cover with light! Now I always will have a booklight handy when needed! The light works really well ones you adjust it a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17112009062.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	39445  
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'm curious if there's a foldable cover for the PRS-300. NOT one with a light!

I have the 500, and the cover really gives it a "book" feel... even more elegant, actually, since it's leather! The 300 doesn't come with the fold-over cover AFAIK, but that's what I really want.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Like this? :

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=027242778245
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Raúl
Raúl began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Here is a picture I took with my phone. I really love this Sony cover with light! Now I always will have a booklight handy when needed! The light works really well ones you adjust it a little.
Hi, I find the light quite a good thing, if it was not because of the strong reflection . When I use the lamp, I make the light shine directly onto the upper part of the frame, so as to avoid the reflection on the screen, but then, the lower part is not so well lit . Anybody doing things differently and getting a better result?
Raúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
donald1
Enthusiast
donald1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raúl View Post
Hi, I find the light quite a good thing, if it was not because of the strong reflection . When I use the lamp, I make the light shine directly onto the upper part of the frame, so as to avoid the reflection on the screen, but then, the lower part is not so well lit . Anybody doing things differently and getting a better result?
Also I have a case with the light for my PRS-600. Yes you have to aim the light such that the reflection is little. Nevertheless it is handy and a quite nice case.

Only a little expensive.....
donald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
Nice! Thanks!

-Pie
Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raúl View Post
With paper books, I went through "the itty bitty book light" (the best I tried), and 3 or so others... all more frustration than helpful. There would be "hotspots" too bright, as well as areas too dim to read... basically, uneven coverage of the paperback page. I was constantly shifting the thing as I read each page.

With the Reader, all the same problems plus reflection (similar to the "hotspot" on paperbacks).

My solution: a headlamp. I look like a dork walking around the house, but it works perfectly. I get total coverage of the Reader (and even full paperbacks). Glare is still an issue, but a slight tilt solves the problem without sacrificing brightness from the light. And I don't have to constantly shift the stupid light. It's also LED, so batteries last a few weeks.

All this is why I have absolutely no desire to purchase a cover with a light built in.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 11-17-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
Winkz
Winkz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Foldable cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I'm curious if there's a foldable cover for the PRS-300. NOT one with a light!-Pie
Foldable? The BookArmor for the 300 will fold back on itself so you can hold it with one hand. Bonus, I just noticed that the BookArmors are on sale for $30. Also it seems they came out with a smaller version for the 300 that fits better. www.bookarmorcase.com
Winkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #15
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have the Case Logic zippered case for the 300 which I can fold back and then zip up so the front cover doesn't flap around

Last edited by xtine; 11-18-2009 at 01:09 AM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote