Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
How many books can the 505 comfortably hold?

I am sure this has been asked before but I just couldn't find it ......how many books can the 505 comfortably hold in its internal memory? I have about 60 books on there now and have started adding anything else I wanted to memory cards...........but I am wondering if this is really necessary?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Depending on the size of the books, I'd say 200-250. I've got about 80 books on mine now and I'm not even at half full.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I am sure this has been asked before but I just couldn't find it ......how many books can the 505 comfortably hold in its internal memory? I have about 60 books on there now and have started adding anything else I wanted to memory cards...........but I am wondering if this is really necessary?
Why don't you just look and see how much memory your 60 books are occupying, and how much is still free?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Good Idea Harry Thanks it says I have 131mg available so I suppose I can still put a lot onto the main memory itself .....I guess it is only about half full thanks again Lilac and Harry.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I was badly bitten when I first got my PRS-505 by wrongly believing that it could be fully charged with a USB cable. It can't. I then got it into my head that it was was not a good idea to carry more than I need in the machine itself and to let the library software on my PC, lap[top and netbook do its job; deleting books from the ereader when they're read. I seldom have more than a dozen titles in the 505 now, and it works perfectly and at the speed of light. I don't see the need to carry an entire library in my pocket. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
It really depends on the size of the books and format you are using. Most of my books are in lrf with a few epub and PDFs and I currently have 395 books on mine, all internal memory, with 11.1mb left. That is one reason that when my 505 breaks, I won't have a big problem with a 300 is it has twice the internal memory of the 505 so I don't need a card port. I don't use the MP3 player either. The only big deal would be the smaller screen.

Last edited by revfish; 11-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I was badly bitten when I first got my PRS-505 by wrongly believing that it could be fully charged with a USB cable. It can't.
It can, but only from a PC, not from a USB wall charger.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***It can, but only from a PC, not from a USB wall charger.***

Right. You're always spot on, Harry. But I must confess that I see little point in totin' books in the reader that are so easily downloaded any ol' time from my libraries. Why load the donkey? Unless you're going to do a hermit job for a year or two in a cave somewhere, there's no reason to have a hundred titles with you. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have 500 on mine and still space left, but most of mine are Fictionwise multiformat or freebies from here and have a small file size. I recently downloaded a library book that was 10 mb and I was shocked! Why on earth would they need so much space for one book?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
Mine is crammed full with over 100 books (internal memory and SD card) and I actually don't like having that many on there because I always forget what is there and they are sometimes hard to find because they aren't all properly tagged.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Size is only an issue with internal memory. On memory card, the Reader could theoretically hold enough to last a lifetime. The problem is that with more than 150-200 books it becomes very annoying navigating them.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I currently have about 150 on mine but that includes a couple of rather large anthology PDFs and have about 12 MB free.
I remember awhile ago some guy posted that he spent about 3 weeks working out how to get over 3500 books on his reader with the aid of an SD card
He said it took over 1 1/2 hour to refresh the database when he unplugged it from the computer
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I then got it into my head that it was was not a good idea to carry more than I need in the machine itself and to let the library software on my PC, lap[top and netbook do its job; deleting books from the ereader when they're read. I seldom have more than a dozen titles in the 505 now, and it works perfectly and at the speed of light. I don't see the need to carry an entire library in my pocket. N
I would go a step further. While the speed of eInk screen is not an obstacle for reading, it definitely is a problem for the bookshelf (library management) function of the software of my reader.

Like Neil, I pulled (permanently) my SD card from my 505, and now use the internal memory to store titles on my "to read" list, plus a couple of reference works. Once read, the book gets deleted from the reader.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I usually keep around 300 to 350 books on my reader, a mixture of LRF and epub with the occasional PDF, RTF and text file thrown in.

Personally, this is about the upper limit of my patience with the waiting time (while the reader scans through the books after you unplug from your computer) so I never keep any memory cards in the machine any more.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have 500 on mine and still space left, but most of mine are Fictionwise multiformat or freebies from here and have a small file size. I recently downloaded a library book that was 10 mb and I was shocked! Why on earth would they need so much space for one book?
Illustrations, probably; they can really boost the size of a book. I've created a number of heavily-illustrated books that are >10MB in size.