Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Avantslash Page Killed

I'v been using the avantslash page over at
http://www.fourteenminutes.com/code/...e/avantify.cgi
for as long as I've used iSilo. I loved that tool but "sadly, a small number of individuals have spoilt it for everyone else". Does anyone else have a solution?

I'll really miss /. on my PDA.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Despite the caching mechanism that AvantSlash has, if someones request 2000 pages and it doesn't have any of them, then it'll go off and request those 2000 pages from the Slashdot site."

He could have easily solved this problem by restricting how many pages of articles one could go back.
Advert
Old 02-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
jlogday
jlogday began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650
Before I had heard of Avantslash, I wrote a perl script that did essentially the same thing. Then I started using plucker, so I changed my script to output a bunch of handheld-friendly html files, and I would pluck those files. The current version is available here if you'd like to give it a try. It requires perl and libxslt, both of which are available for windows, but I've only used it on linux.

I've also written an XSLT stylesheet for use with sunrise, which is how I currently read slashdot on my handheld. I've been meaning to post it to the sunrise forum here on mobileread, but since sunrise XP doesn't use stylesheets any more I didn't think there would be enough interest.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
dreamriver
Enthusiast
dreamriver began at the beginning.

Device: T5
Cool Slashdot and iSiloX

You can still get Slashdot.com by using isiloX, and use this RSS feed. All the new iSiloX can do RSS feeds.

Here is the link to use. 0 depth.

http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Even better, maybe you want to try Alterslash which give just the best comments. I like this because the comments are interesting, but there is so much junk, I generally don't bother to read them. This way I get the best ones in easy format.

They have a bunch of nifty RSS feeds including this one that appears to combine the original post and the best few comments very nicely.
Advert