Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
morningface
morningface began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch/stanza
Calibre Content Server and AVG antivirus

I just thought I'd post a little note on the problem I was having. I was getting the "ERROR: Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'" message. The FAQ recommended disabling my antvirus software, but in AVG (free), I needed to disable the LinkScanner function, not the ResidentShield. After that, the Content Server started up just fine!

However, I still haven't been able to get my Ipod Touch to connect with my Calibre library, so we'll see what else I need to fix! When I hit the "Test Server" button, I get the "Unable to Connect" error message from Firefox. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
morningface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you may have to open the port 8080 in your windows firewall as well
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningface View Post
I just thought I'd post a little note on the problem I was having. I was getting the "ERROR: Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'" message. The FAQ recommended disabling my antvirus software, but in AVG (free), I needed to disable the LinkScanner function, not the ResidentShield. After that, the Content Server started up just fine!

However, I still haven't been able to get my Ipod Touch to connect with my Calibre library, so we'll see what else I need to fix! When I hit the "Test Server" button, I get the "Unable to Connect" error message from Firefox. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
We used to fun AVG here. We just found it to be slowing down the computers noticeably and it did give a lot of false positives. We've since switched to Comodo. It's quite nice and the firewall is very easy to disable in case you don't need it because you have a router. And the Vista version even runs well with Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote