Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
denmarks
Enthusiast
denmarks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question about ebook files

Are all ebooks downloaded from Sony completely self contained? What I mean is all the security associated with the book within the file? Some file names are very obscure and I would like to rename them. I just want to make sure that renaming will not hurt the file. I know I will probably have to delete and reenter the entry in the eBook library program.

I do know that RSS files probably can't be renamed or updates will not work.
denmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I got tired of Sony's titles on my books downloaded from their site when I looked at the files under My books. Just right click on the file and choose rename, type the new name (title), then hit enter. If you are looking to rename a file from the Sony store in the Sony ebook library, it just can't be done because of DRM. If you use Calibre, then on your computer at least, the metadata can be changed.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmarks View Post
Are all ebooks downloaded from Sony completely self contained? What I mean is all the security associated with the book within the file? Some file names are very obscure and I would like to rename them. I just want to make sure that renaming will not hurt the file. I know I will probably have to delete and reenter the entry in the eBook library program.
Yes, renaming them is harmless but you'll have to reimport. You can always make a copy of one book and check.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote