Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Kindle-- still proving why I made the right decision never buying one

http://www.examiner.com/x-8134-SF-Ga...r-Kindle-books
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Uh... yeah. Oh no! It won't let me keep fraudulently purchased books, or books I asked to return! And they'll follow court orders! And it might delete something infected with a virus or bug! Oh noes!!

Yeah, woopdy-freaking-do.. Unless they do something beyond that, they're still behaving as good corporate citizens.

Last edited by Gideon; 10-01-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I don't see the problem. That's a rational policy, good for both the company and the consumer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't see the problem. That's a rational policy, good for both the company and the consumer.
How is it good for a consumer?
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Yeah, I think it is kind of alarmist too. Before I bought my first reader, a K2, I read about this and was shocked & alarmed too. But then, I educated myself on the circumstances. It seems OK to me. Amazon was basically forced to do this.

I'm not aware of how it all played out in the end: Are those George Orwell books still unobtainable for Kindle? Or was the copyright issue worked out and folks can now re-purchase the books?

It is worth noting that Amazon did credit the users' accounts after removing the books. It isn't like someone's life was depending on those books, or that it was a widespread problem. I do understand that it is kind of big-brother-ish for them to be able to do this. Kind of 1984-ish, hehehe.

Still, we're glad you're happy with your decision.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Because if they can't delete returns they might just decide not to allow returns - and allowing returns on eBooks is a VERY good thing as you get those mangled, terrible ones from time to time (or just made a bad decision.) Very good for the consumer.

Likewise, not having to eat fraud (fake credit cards, etc) costs keep costs down.

And following the rule of law? That's good for everyone.

And deleting files that have been infected with bad or malicious code? You do realize how zombie farms on PCs work, right? People are bloody idiots.. Amazon could put billboads up saying "Delete "Mr John Goes to Town" because it is a virus" and people would still keep doing it.

All of those are reasonable expectations and conditions. The whole 1984 debacle was just on the edge of that, these issues really aren't. Just a bunch of reactionary nonsense.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
How is it good for a consumer?
If Amazon wants to remove a book known to have a computer virus from my system, how can that be a bad thing?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Because if they can't delete returns they might just decide not to allow returns - and allowing returns on eBooks is a VERY good thing as you get those mangled, terrible ones from time to time (or just made a bad decision.) Very good for the consumer.

Likewise, not having to eat fraud (fake credit cards, etc) costs keep costs down.

And following the rule of law? That's good for everyone.

And deleting files that have been infected with bad or malicious code? You do realize how zombie farms on PCs work, right? People are bloody idiots.. Amazon could put billboads up saying "Delete "Mr John Goes to Town" because it is a virus" and people would still keep doing it.

All of those are reasonable expectations and conditions. The whole 1984 debacle was just on the edge of that, these issues really aren't. Just a bunch of reactionary nonsense.
So if Microsoft, Apple or RedHat (or whatever OS you use) started rummaging around on your computer looking for 'bad stuff', that would be perfectly acceptable to you?

No, it's not 'nonsense' - privacy is being eroded enough already. The idea that because you buy something from a company, that company has the 'right' to access whatever you put on it is what is nonsense. The reason Amazon backed off on the Orwell thing was because a lot of people stood up and said 'Enough!'. The fact that there are even more people who think this is perfectly OK is rather telling. Or should I say, 'Orwellian'?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yeah, and none of the exceptions in that policy would have applied in the Orwell case, so I don't know why the article is bringing that up. The promises Amazon made in response to that scenario still apply. The exceptions in this policy are talking about other things.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I have no problem with it whatsoever.

People who pirate stuff are pretty high up on my sh!t list, as are people who try to do fraudulent returns etc.

The rest of the outrage that isn't from that crowd is just conspiracy theory nonsense with people being irrationally afraid of "big brother."
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
This thread is dumb.

I have issues with my K1, but this isn't one of them. Next?
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Uh... yeah. Oh no! It won't let me keep fraudulently purchased books, or books I asked to return! And they'll follow court orders! And it might delete something infected with a virus or bug! Oh noes!!

Yeah, woopdy-freaking-do.. Unless they do something beyond that, they're still behaving as good corporate citizens.
So how long will it be until they start deleting books I legally purchased from FictionWise because by stripping the DRM I somehow broke the stupidest law in the universe?
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
So if Microsoft, Apple or RedHat (or whatever OS you use) started rummaging around on your computer looking for 'bad stuff', that would be perfectly acceptable to you?
Except Amazon didn't rummage around in anyone's device looking for stuff. They deleted the book from peoples online libraries and the next time the people synced with whispernet the book automatically deleted since it was no longer in the persons library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
This thread is dumb.
Well, if you are perfectly okay to have companies rummaging around on your hardware and deciding what you can keep and what you can't, you deserve exactly what you get.

(And no, before anyone asks, I do not allow my OS or any other software to update automatically-- I think that there is exactly 1 person who gets to choose what goes on my computer or other electronic devices, and that is me.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We must protect the corporation, Brothers, lest our fellow men infringe on its rights and liberties!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote