Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Question Calibre's metadata download function

Here is a new user of Calibre,

I am trying out Calibre and Alfa Ebooks Manager if either can be used for my ebooks collection. For trial, I chose 5 random books and imported in both the programs.
Alfa Ebooks manager imported metadata for all 5 ebooks flawlessly from Barnes & Noble (I chose this option over amazon and others) but Calibre could not import metadata for any of them.
How does this metadata import function really work? In the demo video, Kovid only mentions that it downloads from the internet but where does it actually download from? Can you change this search option?

I checked through forums and wiki too but did not find any answer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It downloads from isbndb.com and google books

You need to add an isbndb.com access key (free to get) for the isbndb.com download to work
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It downloads from isbndb.com and google books

You need to add an isbndb.com access key (free to get) for the isbndb.com download to work
Once you have that key affiliated in Calibre, the download metadata feature works quite well. And though it is NOT a function or fault of Calibre, I dislike how isndb includes a lot of 'junk' data as selction options.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Thanks for quick replies.

I guess being a newbie, I would like to have a bit more information on how to get this key and where do I add it in?
I checked plugin section of calibre and there is no search function to find and download the plugin.

More help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
There's a really nice tutorial here. The blog post is from last year, but I think the idbndb.com info is still up to date.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Thanks, the link definitely helped.

Now I have the access key but I don't find point in Calibre to enter it. The post shows a screenshot where it explicitly asks to enter the key. I don't find such place.
More pointer please.

IMO, this metadata downloading issue should be made VERY CLEAR either during installation or if error occurs due to this reason. "Failed to download Metadata" as an error description doesn't really help.

BTW, I am using 0.6.13 version.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When you hit the Fetch Metadata from Server button a dialog pops up where there is a field for the Access key.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.

FINALLY, I found it. I sort of started feeling myself retard that I don't get it. Now the last thing I was hoping that it will scan from ISBN number in the file before goes ahead and finds the metadata. I believe such feature is not yet available and the ticket is already opened (2324 and 3013, I am more with 3013)

Looking forward for this feature too.

Thanks all for chipping in to answer my question.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
Thanks everyone.

FINALLY, I found it.
Crackhammer,
Since you just lived it, any chance of getting you to document the Step 1, Step 2 process and links for establishing the idbndb capability in Calibre?

It could be a very useful new thread that might become a sticky to assist other new Calibre users so they don't have to suffer through the 20 Questions and Responses that it took us to adequately communicate it successfully to you. Differing levels of experience make seemingly simple tasks very difficult because we don't all share the same knowledge coming into an issue. I'm sorry I didn't follow through with explaining how to post the key. Glad you did get it working, and I'm sure you will find it as handy as I do. Thanks Dr. Goyal!
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata import