Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
A couple of 300 questions before deciding which to buy

Hello! I'm new to posting, but have been doing a lot of reading the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping to order my first reader this week or next, but I find myself in a never ending back and forth between the 300 and the 505. Usually when it comes to buying a new gadget the right option jumps out at me fairly quickly after a bit of research, but this decision has me feeling unusually indecisive.

So, I'm hoping that those of you who already have the 300 can maybe help make up my mind

I think my biggest hold up is in regards to the available covers/cases. Does anyone know of any 3rd party covers available for the 300 at this time? I'm disappointed that it doesn't come with a cover like the 505 does, and I'm not willing to pay $40 for the Sony option (which is the only option I've been able to find online). Or, even whether the 300 would fit into any of the 3rd party covers that are available for the 505? I haven't seen any of these in person, so I don't really know how the readers are attached to the covers to know if that's even an option.

That said, does anyone have a photo of the neoprene sleeve that comes with the 300? After much digging, I haven't managed to find a photo anywhere online.

Thanks so much!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The 300 has only been out 2 weeks and I have not seen any 3rd party covers. The 300 will not fit in a 505 cover as the 300 is a 5" device and the 505 is a 6" device. They are just too different a size to use the same cover.

The neoprene sleeve is not very impressive. The Reader does fit snugly into the sleeve but I don't ever see myself using it for my 600.

Give it some time and I'm sure someone like M-Edge will come out with a cover for the 300. The Sony covers are nice but not really worth the $30 or $40 they charge.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks grooks, for the reply. I didn't know the 300 was so new, I guess that explains why I haven't found any 3rd party accessories for it! I've seen the m edge covers for the 505 and really like them, so I hope they'll come up with some for the 300, too... which I think I'm leaning more towards right now. Who knows, though, that could change tomorrow LOL

There's no way I'm saving $40 by buying the 300 and then spending $40 on the sony cover for it, that's for sure.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
Hello! I'm new to posting, but have been doing a lot of reading the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping to order my first reader this week or next, but I find myself in a never ending back and forth between the 300 and the 505. Usually when it comes to buying a new gadget the right option jumps out at me fairly quickly after a bit of research, but this decision has me feeling unusually indecisive.

So, I'm hoping that those of you who already have the 300 can maybe help make up my mind

I think my biggest hold up is in regards to the available covers/cases. Does anyone know of any 3rd party covers available for the 300 at this time? I'm disappointed that it doesn't come with a cover like the 505 does, and I'm not willing to pay $40 for the Sony option (which is the only option I've been able to find online). Or, even whether the 300 would fit into any of the 3rd party covers that are available for the 505? I haven't seen any of these in person, so I don't really know how the readers are attached to the covers to know if that's even an option.

That said, does anyone have a photo of the neoprene sleeve that comes with the 300? After much digging, I haven't managed to find a photo anywhere online.

Thanks so much!
I've already ordered the Sony cover.
In the meantime (delivery will take about 10 days, it's not available yet) I'm using the sleeve PLUS (when having it in my bag and risking damage to the screen) an additional neoprene pouch for further protection.
It's a generic, oversized 9" pouch able to cover Kindle DX. I use it for all units smaller than Kindle DX and basically just fold the spare ends. Doesn't look great, but it's an additional layer of protection and the Sony 300 can't slip out of his sleeve.
That's my main concern about the sleeve: A pen easily could enter the sleeve and scratch the screen. Or the unit simply could slip from the sleeve and the display could break within a bag or suitcase.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
weasty
Enthusiast
weasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle paper white, kobo mini, nook glo, iPad 3
I have the 300 and I did buy the cover the white one through sony. I was very dissapointed with the cover I'm not [ositive but I dint think its even leather it smells and feels like plastic it has no padding at all either. I have a kindle 2 and the amazon cover is leaps and bounds better. I actually have been debating sending back the cover and using the sleeve till a m edge one comes out.
weasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Well whether you like the Sony cover is a matter of taste but these covers for the 300 & 600 are a bit better quality than the stock ones they gave with the 505. I don't think they ever claimed they were leather. I don't personally care if its leather or not. I like the covers because I like Sony's system for putting the device in the case. It looks very clean and like a real book cover. I don't like straps around the device like m-edge does. I love how light the Sony covers are. I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight to my device. M-edge's covers are bulky and heavy. I have have tried them for the 505 and for my kindle and I have never liked them. But if you want to wrap your device in a tank because your worried that a cover needs to be heavy and stiff or its not protecting the device than m-edge would be good.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Well whether you like the Sony cover is a matter of taste but these covers for the 300 & 600 are a bit better quality than the stock ones they gave with the 505. I don't think they ever claimed they were leather. I don't personally care if its leather or not. I like the covers because I like Sony's system for putting the device in the case. It looks very clean and like a real book cover. I don't like straps around the device like m-edge does. I love how light the Sony covers are. I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight to my device. M-edge's covers are bulky and heavy. I have have tried them for the 505 and for my kindle and I have never liked them. But if you want to wrap your device in a tank because your worried that a cover needs to be heavy and stiff or its not protecting the device than m-edge would be good.
I totally agree. I bought the Sony cover for my 300 and it is functional, stylish, and gets the job done. Plus it has a tiny magnet in it so that it stays closed when you close it. The Sony cover for the 600 does too. They a bit pricy, but they are good.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
I like the covers because I like Sony's system for putting the device in the case. It looks very clean and like a real book cover. I don't like straps around the device like m-edge does. I love how light the Sony covers are. I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight to my device. M-edge's covers are bulky and heavy. I have have tried them for the 505 and for my kindle and I have never liked them. But if you want to wrap your device in a tank because your worried that a cover needs to be heavy and stiff or its not protecting the device than m-edge would be good.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I really like the functionality of the stock 505 cover. I bought an M-Edge cover that's just gathering dust after wrapping around my 505 for a scant half-hour. Too bulky, don't like the straps.

I'm tempted to pick up the Sony 300 cover for the design, although I agree it's a bit pricey. I've been using the pouch, and the 300 slides easily in my jeans pocket. I still like the 505--can't go wrong with either imo.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'mn fine with the neoprene pouch it fits well, does'nt scratch the unit and adds very little bulk, I might get a cover somewhere down the road but I'm fine for now.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some covers for Sony 300

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...577#post592577

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-15-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post

Thanks so much!
2 pics of the standard neoprene sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07232.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	949.3 KB
ID:	35899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07233.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	904.3 KB
ID:	35900  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I ordered the red standard cover with my rose/red prs 300 at bol.com straight away and I love it. it matches the color of the reader very good which makes it a nice matching pair. I also love how it's not bulky, and it makes the reader just like a book in the way you have to open the cover. And it's enough protection for me.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I got the standard black cover and like it; closed it looks very distinguished, and feels good.
Opened it is less impressive, sticks out to the right 2 or 3 cm and doesn't (yet) fold back completely flat.
I also does not provide 100% protection, leaving the sides open.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I got the standard black cover and like it; closed it looks very distinguished, and feels good.
Opened it is less impressive, sticks out to the right 2 or 3 cm and doesn't (yet) fold back completely flat.
I also does not provide 100% protection, leaving the sides open.
It will break in shortly.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote