Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Article link - How to beat Kindle...

I didn't see this previously posted so here you go:

http://www.slate.com/id/2226503/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I would hardly call Sony incompetent. The article it links to also says
Quote:
Still, Sony got the big stuff right: the feel of the machine, the pleasantness of reading, the clarity of type
The only thing that held me back from owning one earlier was the Total cost of ownership (expensive device and expensive books).

I finally bit when the Kindle came out with the $250 offer with $9.99 books...and loved it so much that I bought a Kindle for my mother with the Oprah deal.

However, that didn't stop me from recently buying a used PRS-505 which I love for its own reasons.

Amazon's advantage, imo, isn't so much whispernet but its clout as a book retailer. I've always thought that partnering with a major known book retailer (to sell books, not just devices) is what would've made Sony more competitive.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Amazon's advantage, imo, isn't so much whispernet but its clout as a book retailer. I've always thought that partnering with a major known book retailer (to sell books, not just devices) is what would've made Sony more competitive.
Sony actually work like that in europe and given the choice I would much prefer the option of a properly integrated bookstore in the library software like you get in north america rather than the half-hearted external url you get in the european version.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
This is really true. Relating to iPods, I remember for the past years I have been a victim of Apple's being innovative. Every time there is a new one, I tend to go for it and it turns out Apple is ahead of them all. well yeah. up to now this still holds true. as of now, i still have the iPhone 3G and waiting for my 3Gs to come.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
This is really true. Relating to iPods, I remember for the past years I have been a victim of Apple's being innovative. Every time there is a new one, I tend to go for it and it turns out Apple is ahead of them all. well yeah. up to now this still holds true. as of now, i still have the iPhone 3G and waiting for my 3Gs to come.
Calling apple innovative is quite generous, their real strength seem to be in producing products that are close enough to innovative that their marketing dept can convince people that they have invented something new.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Calling apple innovative is quite generous, their real strength seem to be in producing products that are close enough to innovative that their marketing dept can convince people that they have invented something new.
Yep, seems more true to me -- Apple is more about marketing style than innovating.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
kennyc

This is an older article, apologies if it has already been posted, I'm trying to catch up on the past few years.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/22/kin...s_oreilly.html