Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
The Lost Symbol availability

Does anyone know if Sony's eBook store will be getting The Lost Symbol? If not do you know a good place to get it? I noticed Fictionwise has a preorder for it but it is just for the secure eReader format.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
Does anyone know if Sony's eBook store will be getting The Lost Symbol? If not do you know a good place to get it? I noticed Fictionwise has a preorder for it but it is just for the secure eReader format.
I would assume they'll have it on release day (I don't know if Sony's ever done pre-orders or not), but if you want to pre-order it right now Books on Board has the ePub for pre-order for $9.95, which will work on all the Sony's except the 500.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I would assume they'll have it on release day (I don't know if Sony's ever done pre-orders or not), but if you want to pre-order it right now Books on Board has the ePub for pre-order for $9.95, which will work on all the Sony's except the 500.
Awesome, I wasn't sure if Sony displayed preorders or upcoming titles. I just ordered my 505 last night so I am still getting used to things. I will check out Books on Board though. Thanks alot
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
You can see what's coming up on the Sony Booksite but going into Categories and then clicking on the purple box on the side which says Coming Soon. It shows you the new releases by month and the day they're coming out. The Lost Symbol will be released on the 15th I believe.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I've seen a couple of books offered for "preorder" on the Sony site, but it's apparently *not* as common as at Amazon. I'm still not sure I'm going to buy this one right away. I'm still waiting for the price to come down on Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
RANT WARNING! As usual, decent deals are US-only. Otherwise the ebook price is ridiculous .... in some cases THREE TIMES hardback cover price. Also, of course, the release date of Sept 15 is US time -- not for the rest of the world; we get it tonight or tomorrow, if we're lucky. When will folks realise that not everyone lives in America? There's *really* such a place as *abroad*. And we don't all speak Chinese ... although China itself has more English speakers than the US. Time and time again, I'm angered by the US-only mentality on the net. I can't for instance download this particular book from the usual suspects because I dare to live outside the USA. I can't use Kindle, I can't buy from Sony, I now find that there's a whole bunch of other ebook retailers because I don't live in Pudunk, USA, It's a piece of nonsense! Like the US doesn't need Euros, pounds and Yen with the dollar in shreds. Bloody arrogance. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
RANT WARNING! As usual, decent deals are US-only. Otherwise the ebook price is ridiculous .... in some cases THREE TIMES hardback cover price. Also, of course, the release date of Sept 15 is US time -- not for the rest of the world; we get it tonight or tomorrow, if we're lucky. When will folks realise that not everyone lives in America? There's *really* such a place as *abroad*. And we don't all speak Chinese ... although China itself has more English speakers than the US. Time and time again, I'm angered by the US-only mentality on the net. I can't for instance download this particular book from the usual suspects because I dare to live outside the USA. I can't use Kindle, I can't buy from Sony, I now find that there's a whole bunch of other ebook retailers because I don't live in Pudunk, USA, It's a piece of nonsense! Like the US doesn't need Euros, pounds and Yen with the dollar in shreds. Bloody arrogance. Neil
Don't blame the US. It's the UK/European publishers that are responsible for most of the geographical restrictions on ebooks. It didn't really start happening until recently.

As for the Kindle. Amazon has said they don't want to release it anywhere until a large enough library of books exists for that region. Rumors are the UK will see it before too long, but who knows.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The Coming Soon page on Sony is awesome. Relieves some of the stress of wondering whether something is coming out in ebook or not.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I've seen a couple of books offered for "preorder" on the Sony site, but it's apparently *not* as common as at Amazon. I'm still not sure I'm going to buy this one right away. I'm still waiting for the price to come down on Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
You know its available now for $9.99 at amazon, right?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Symbo...3022292&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Lost Symbol is actually out now. I've seen it at the library for borrowing.

$9.99 from Shortcovers in ePub.

http://www.shortcovers.com/mixes/The...htg/page1.html

$9.95 from BooksOnBoard with a $0.50 reward.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...40388&v=buynow

Fictionwise has the best/worst deal of all. $9.99 for non-club members and $8.49 for club members. But the worst part of all is that it's only in eReader.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b93274/?si=0

Sony has it for $9.99.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/dan...ost%20Symbol_1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
t1mc
t1mc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P1i
I writ a letter to the publisher lol!

Hope this isn't too long
I sent the email below to Random House. Yes we do get ripped off outside the US and it IS the greedy publishers over here. I tried Fictionwise and Shortcovers.com and the UK region cannot be supplied.

"Hi, I have scoured the internet for Dan Brown’s ‘The Lost Symbol’ in an ebook format that I prefer, Mobipocket, and it is not there.

I contemplated buying the Kindle version…I don’t own a kindle,, nor do I wish to own one, I have a perfectly good mobile phone that is a better form factor for my needs, ie it’s easy to carry around. I cannot purchase the Kindle version even though, according to many forums, the format is actually mobipocket….also owned by Amazon!

I then contemplated buying the epub version but it doesn’t appear until a day later. For some reason the ereader version and Kindle versions are available the same day as the book launch, yet the epub version is not available until 16th September.

Why would I buy the epub version? Because I can convert it to run on my phone’s mobipocket…you get my money, I get my book...I clearly break any DRM on the book but at least I get to read it on the train to work.

I could just buy the book….I will as my family want to read it…..but I don’t want to read the physical book when I have a perfectly good machine that serves me well for other Dan Brown books as well as many others….therefore maybe I will also download a dodgy copy as well, after all I’ve paid for the book which I would read if I had to, but don’t want to.

On the other hand if, as it looks like I’m forced to buy the physical book, maybe I should go to the library, no DRM, or even borrow it off a friend…..is this peer to peer?

Yours in absolute frustration.

Tim, proud owner of a Sony Ericsson P1i smartphone with Mobipocket

PS. Just as a suggestion, I would happily pay a bit more for an instant electronic copy (in all formats) with a copy of the book to be sent to my home address at your leisure (or a downloadable voucher to use at a retail outlet)…..after all the ebook costs little to distribute, and costs nothing in stock holding."
t1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Lost Symbol is actually out now. I've seen it at the library for borrowing.

$9.99 from Shortcovers in ePub.
http://www.shortcovers.com/mixes/The...htg/page1.html

$9.95 from BooksOnBoard with a $0.50 reward.
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...40388&v=buynow

Fictionwise has the best/worst deal of all. $9.99 for non-club members and $8.49 for club members. But the worst part of all is that it's only in eReader.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b93274/?si=0

Sony has it for $9.99.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/dan...ost%20Symbol_1
To add to those...
Diesel - Not Available
Mobipocket - $29.95 (Mobi)
eReader - $9.99 (eReader)
B&N - $9.99 (eReader)
Ebooks.com - Not Available
CyberRead - Not Available

UK
WH Smith - £13.29 (ePub)
Waterstones - £9.49 (ePub)
Borders - Not Available
Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
baldman
baldman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just a thought: if you are considered about DRMed files (I am, you know), wouldn't it be best to buy secure ereader from Fictionwise and run it through ereader2html.py script? I am considering this option as I would like to buy this book as well. And since I am owner of Sony 505, ereader would not do me much good, would it.

I know it is disputable thing to do, but hey. I am paying for that book and I do not intend to share it somewhere on torrent or whatever. I just want any plain format without DRM, that I can convert to ePub and have it stored in archive and be sure, that I can read that book wherever I want (Linux user, if you catch my drift :-) )
baldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Stephen Windwalker's blog is reporting that the Kindle version is outselling the hard cover version of The Lost Symbol.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman View Post
Just a thought: if you are considered about DRMed files (I am, you know), wouldn't it be best to buy secure ereader from Fictionwise and run it through ereader2html.py script? I am considering this option as I would like to buy this book as well. And since I am owner of Sony 505, ereader would not do me much good, would it.

I know it is disputable thing to do, but hey. I am paying for that book and I do not intend to share it somewhere on torrent or whatever. I just want any plain format without DRM, that I can convert to ePub and have it stored in archive and be sure, that I can read that book wherever I want (Linux user, if you catch my drift :-) )
If I were buying I'd get the ePub version and remove the DRM.