Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
dormouse
dormouse began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading Letter/A4 PDFs on a 505

I know that screen size/resolution of the 505 doesn't lend itself well to Letter/A4 PDFs, but I'm trying to see how acceptable it would be.

Can I simulate the experience by opening a PDF on an 800x600 monitor - assuming that I'd read the PDFs in landscape mode on the 505? Or is there another issue that I'm missing? When I open a PDF on such a small monitor, and set it to display the full page width, so I have to scroll down to read the whole page, it seems to be readable. Not ideal, but readable. If this is a valid test, I'll examine a selection of PDFs I have to read at work and see if it would be acceptable. Basically, I'd like to sit outside and read them - and don't want to have to keep printing stuff.

Obviously, a bigger reader would be better for me, but at GBP150 the 505 is compelling. I'm not really will to splash out on an iRex when I'm assuming their will soon be a lot more choice in the Letter/A4 space.

Last edited by dormouse; 08-21-2009 at 05:05 AM.
dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some PDFs will "reflow", and will be adequately readable on the Sony. Others (primarily those where the PDF page is an image) will not reflow, and really won't be very readable.

Your best bet is to download and install the Sony eBook software on your PC. That has a Reader "emulator" in it which will accurately mimic what any book or document will look like on a "real" Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert