Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
niravana21
niravana21 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
Exclamation Seriously need help dealing with STANZA.app for iPhone

hey guys I have a PDF of a book and I want to be able to read it on my iphone through stanza.

The problem is, even when I export the book as ".epub" (with calibri and stanza desktop) the book is no way readable. I mean it opens, but no paragraphs, random line breaks etc.

So is there any way that I can correctly format the PDF so it can be friendly with Stanza? Any other file extension?

I've literally spent about 3 hours trying to work this out and this basically my last attempt.

Thanks

heres the PDF if someone is willing to convert it for me in a nice iphone-friendly format.

link removed by Elsi -- copyrighted book

Last edited by Elsi; 06-19-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: copyrighted book
niravana21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
where did you get the pdf?

Where did you get the pdf? You can log into a variety of sites through Stanza on your phone to directly download the book, such as fictionwise and BoB.

I am sure there are other ways to get the file onto your phone, I am just not sure what they are.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The link posted by the OP was to a PDF of a book that is still within copyright. I removed the link, but will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that somehow he legally obtained the copy.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
niravana21
niravana21 began at the beginning.

sorry I did not know that I couldn't post that.

anyways, a general question would be: How can I convert a PDF to EPUB
niravana21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I would recommend using Calibre to create an ePub. Then explode the ePub into its corresponding HTML and edit the HTML to fix all the formatting problems (random line breaks and no paragraphs). Then feed the HTML back into Calibre to create a new ePub.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Starganderfish
Starganderfish began at the beginning.

Are you on PC or Mac?
One way is to open the PDF through Acrobat, highlight the text and cut and pase it into Word or a similar Word Processor. You should be able to keep a lot of the formatting this way. Save it as a Word .DOC or .RTF and then import it through the Stanza Desk Top. Other option is to get a PDF conversion program - a lot of these will allow you to convert into a number of formats and will even do batch conversion for a large number of files. For a PC I use Amber PDF converter (you have to pay about $15 for it I think but it's worth it if you need to use it a lot) This wont do ePub but will do .DOC, .TXT, .LIT as well as .PDB (Palm) and even Fictionwise (FB2) you should then be able to push the file through Stanza to get what you want.
Another option is a program called Convert Doc - similar idea but you can get a trial version that will let you convert about 200 books at a time.
Finally another possibilty is to forget about Stanza and use an eBook program that is open to multiple formats - such as BooksZ or eReader or Bookshelf. These may be able to read the native PDF file or another format that you can change it into.
Last resort is do a google search for Programs: "convert .PDF to .EPUB" or similar. This might reveal ssome more programs that you can try.
Hope this helps
Starganderfish is offline   Reply With Quote