Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
Wes
Wes began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Sony PRS700
I need help with PDF to LRF conversion

Hello to all,

I must be overlooking something. I seek a step by step guide to document conversion from PDF to LRF formats. I wish to keep embedded images, table of contents....etc.

I have searched the site and all I can find is references to a multitude of software packages and command line tools. This is fine but I guess I need my hand held a bit. I need step by step directions on the how and what to do in order to accomplish this task. Anyone up to the task?

I note I have tried the tools spoken of on this site and I still cannot produce an acceptable LRF formatted ebook for my Sony PRS700.

Please HELP!

A frustrated user,

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
PDF is not a great source format. what you need to do is first Convert it to a good format, such as a RTF/HTML. there are a number of tools to do this. and my favorite is probably ABC PDF converter.

then just drag the RTF into book designer. Make Any changes you want (look at the guide in my sig for things you can try) and then save as a LRF.

but the best advice of course is to get a format other than PDF to start with, which is what I have been doing and I havent had the need to open a pdf converter in a long time.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Wes
Wes began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Sony PRS700
Thank you Andybaby. I will give what you stated a try right now.

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

good luck. the idea is to get a readable RTF or HTML and then convert that to LRF.

if you have something in RTF or HTML, you can convert it anywhere.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
PDF is not a great source format. what you need to do is first Convert it to a good format, such as a RTF/HTML. there are a number of tools to do this. and my favorite is probably ABC PDF converter.

then just drag the RTF into book designer. Make Any changes you want (look at the guide in my sig for things you can try) and then save as a LRF.

but the best advice of course is to get a format other than PDF to start with, which is what I have been doing and I havent had the need to open a pdf converter in a long time.
Hi:

About pdf conversion, what about equations and vectorized images? Is there any chance to preserve them while converting from pdf?

Thanks!!
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard

well if you export them as a Non vectorized image yes.

but that opens up a whole nother can of worms.

if a image is large enough that it's a vectorized image in a PDF. odds are that the 700 wont display it very well. because if you do export it as a non vectorized image you loose any reason it was vectored in the first place. the screen on the 700 is so small compared to a laptop screen that it makes that type of pdf unusable.

It mainly a Text reader with some nominal image support (8 bit black an white) it can be okay for reading some Text PDFs, but for the type of pdf like that. if it doesn't work that great as a pdf, it will only degrade further through conversion.

the idea of converting is to get as much of the text possible to a readable level on the screen. as well as preserving any images, but that second function is nominal at best.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
well if you export them as a Non vectorized image yes.

but that opens up a whole nother can of worms.

if a image is large enough that it's a vectorized image in a PDF. odds are that the 700 wont display it very well. because if you do export it as a non vectorized image you loose any reason it was vectored in the first place. the screen on the 700 is so small compared to a laptop screen that it makes that type of pdf unusable.

It mainly a Text reader with some nominal image support (8 bit black an white) it can be okay for reading some Text PDFs, but for the type of pdf like that. if it doesn't work that great as a pdf, it will only degrade further through conversion.

the idea of converting is to get as much of the text possible to a readable level on the screen. as well as preserving any images, but that second function is nominal at best.
Thanks for your reply.

The thing is that I have to read a lot of scientific literature with vectorized plots and equations and i don't want to print the articles/ books and so on. I have managed to convert chm to html and then to lrf with calibre. Also i have cropped some pdf's with sopdf. These are the good news, the bad news are that double column articles have to be cropped with papercrop (that works automagically and very well) and you loose the text, every thing is converted to images.

I used to read some of this stuff in a (believe me) htc with a tiny 2.8" screen, the prs700 screen is huge for me :-). The only thing that i miss is the pdb reader (vademecum). You can read a entire web with links in a self contained archive, even the wikipedia ones (one level of links if you want the file to be less than 100MB).

Bye...
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
The only thing that i miss is the pdb reader (vademecum). You can read a entire web with links in a self contained archive, even the wikipedia ones (one level of links if you want the file to be less than 100MB).

Bye...
Try
Bookit

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
PDF support?

I thought the Sony PRS 700 supported PDF format and that it used a reflow program to help smooth out size issues???

If the format is supported you should be able to do whatever you normally do with lrf file to put it on your sony?

If the PDF is not DRM'd I find it easiest to open it in Adobe and then copy it and paste it into word then safe the file as a .rtf, this seems to limit some of the PDF issues with conversion.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
gmsm
gmsm began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700
Angry it supports pdf but..... :(

well it does support pdf but you just can't make the letters bigger with the M L XL or XXL options because if you do that then the images will disappear, that is not the case with lrf or lrx the formats that sony uses, even if you are in xxl option the image will show in another page.

What I've been doing is using the "orientation" option so you will see the book horizontally, then use the "Zoom in" option to clear the empty spaces that surround the letters but it is not as good and it becomes boring after reading a 500pgs book and I have so many more to come.

All my cisco press books are in pdf, wait all the books I have are in pdf (except the ones I find in sony store but there are just novels) so I need to find a solution.
This is a great post I will try all these that was written and I'll write my results.
gmsm is offline   Reply With Quote