Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle DX and folders?

Just read that this is still not supported. Is that right?

I'm used to Stanza on my iPod Touch which has many different folder arrangements (author, title, recently read, and several custom ones as it allows you create your own groupings and assign books to them).

I find it hard to imagine having to scroll through a long, long list of books to get to the one I want. Does it not even group books by the same author into a folder?
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No folders (yet).

You can sort by author or title, though, and jump to certain pages, so it's not a total mess, but navigating lots of books is by no means easy.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
O.S.F
O.S.F is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2/DX
I hope since the KDX is targeting the users who are using PDFs, they will reconsider the ability to add folders or tags. I have about 200+ PDF technical papers/articles and it's impossible to manage them. This is not about just reading books anymore.

Last edited by O.S.F; 05-12-2009 at 10:36 PM.
O.S.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Just read that this is still not supported. Is that right?

I'm used to Stanza on my iPod Touch which has many different folder arrangements (author, title, recently read, and several custom ones as it allows you create your own groupings and assign books to them).

I find it hard to imagine having to scroll through a long, long list of books to get to the one I want. Does it not even group books by the same author into a folder?
While waiting for folders to be implemented (if ever) you may find the following work-around helpful (if you haven't already seen this) - it was originally posted on the Amazon Discussion Boards.

"Unofficial Content Categories on Kindle 2
Kudos to Kindle Community member Bufo Calvin for this tip! With the ability to add notes to your Kindle 2 content and search for specific words or phrases on your Kindle 2's Home screen, you can categorize content by genre or other personalized terms.

Open up one of your books, select Add a Note or Highlight, and enter in a word (or words) you'd like to categorize by - genres such as history, fantasy, biography, etc. Try putting your initials or a common letter such as "x" before the word, "cshistory" or "xfantasy" for example. Save the note you chose to enter.

Now go back to your Home screen and type in the word you just used for your note. Once you've typed it, move your 5-way controller to the right and click on "Search My Items." You'll see the book you just added the note to appear. If you've added that note in multiple books, each one will appear in your search results"
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
While waiting for folders to be implemented (if ever) you may find the following work-around helpful
It is a good idea, but there are no notes for PDFs on the KDX.

Calibre is about to implement something similar for its tags by adding them directly to MOBI ebooks (Supporting Tags in Kindle). The KDX will apparently search PDF metadata, but I have no idea how extensible PDF metadata is.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sirbruce, much appreciate your response and info!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
asddsa
asddsa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
useful workaround I found.

download "Bulk Rename Utility"

and add a prefix to all the pdfs or txt files in a folder. for example if you have 2 folders

1)docs
2)misc

you can rename automatically all the pdfs in "docs" folder adding the prefix:

111_docs_

so your files will show up like this:

111_docs_file1.pdf
111_docs_file2.pdf

of course if you do it also with the other foler "misc" changing the number sequentially---> 222_misc_

the files will show up on your kindle organized like in folders!

111_docs_file1.pdf
111_docs_file2.pdf
222_docs_file1.pdf
222_docs_file2.pdf

cheers from italy!
asddsa is offline   Reply With Quote