Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Hanlin V5

I don't know if this is real or an elaborate hoax, but it's interesting enough that I decided to share it anyway.

As you may know, ebook distributor Endless Ideas has been dropping hints about a new ebook reader on Twitter. They've suggested it will have a 5" screen, and hinted that they will be breaking the the $200 barrier.

Well, one of our forum members found this page. It's in Chinese, so if you need a translation, look at the English language page here. It might nor be the same device, and it might even be a hoax. But it's worth having a look.

The V5 is basically the mini version of the V3. Here are the specs:
Quote:

Availability: May 2009

Dimensions:Size: 151.2mm (length) × 105mm (width) × 10mm (H)
Main screen: 5-inch electronic paper display (E-Ink technology), 8 gray

Memory: SDRAM: 512MB, built-in 2MB NOR FLASH

Weight: about 160g

Power: built-in Li-ion 1000 mAh

Communications: A. headphones C. SD card slot interface B.USB1.1

Expansion: the largest 16G SD Card

Operating temperature: 0 ℃ ~ 40 ℃

Storage Temperature: -20 ℃ ~ 55 ℃ (non-rechargeable batteries)

Supported formats: txt, pdf, doc, chm, wol, rar, zip, jpg, bmp, tiff, fb2, djvu, gif (static), epub, html, htm, ppt, prc, mbi, pdb, MP3, etc.

CPU:Samsung Arm9 200Mhz CPU: Samsung Arm9 200Mhz

Operating System: Linux OS

Accessories: charger, data cable, SIM card, headphones, lanyard, a battery, 1G SD card
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0G634332640.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	28014  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i love machine translations :
Quote:
V5 Hanlin E-book reader can adjust the brightness to see pictures, you can play MP3, support for features such as direct jump page. Hanlin V5 is the cheapest E-INK-screen e-book reader, is the most suitable for the reader to read the novel. If you are a fan fiction, it is feared that the computer vision reading injured, then Hallim V5 will be your ultimate choice.
hehe.

if bebook does make a 5" for under 200$ i think it will be a huge success ; 5" is still a good-sized screen for reading fiction, nice and portable, and the biggest complaint i've heard from most people is price. i hope this is true and it will be available soon.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i love machine translations :

hehe.

if bebook does make a 5" for under 200$ i think it will be a huge success ; 5" is still a good-sized screen for reading fiction, nice and portable, and the biggest complaint i've heard from most people is price. i hope this is true and it will be available soon.
It is interesting when this 5" model will be available on US Market.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if bebook does sell this 5" device, i wonder if they will extend their coupon / credit program for the new model ? that could also help a lot more people get devices.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It has a decent battery, too: 1000mAH compared with the ~700mAH battery found in the Sony, CyBook, etc.

What's the 2MB NOR RAM about, though? What would that be used for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The only advantage I see is the price.The size is still too big to fit in my shirt pocket & I already have an EZ Reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
It seems very interesting, especially if the price drops below the 200$ range.

I guess the 2MB NOR RAM would be to stock the device firmware, or for eventual firmware update.

I'm more intrigued by the 512MB SDRAM, such a quantity would more likely correspond to the storage memory.
On the other end 2MB of actual RAM, if these 2MB are RAM, would be far too low.

My guess is that the datasheet is either incomplete or got some facts wrongs.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I guess the 2MB NOR RAM would be to stock the device firmware, or for eventual firmware update.
That's what I thought at first, too, but don't you think that 2MB is way too low to store operating system + firmware? All existing reading have at least 8MB for that purpose.

Quote:
I'm more intrigued by the 512MB SDRAM, such a quantity would more likely correspond to the storage memory.
Yes, that's certainly storage memory. It's the same as the CyBook has.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
If it hits 199$, I'll probably buy one and OpenInkPot it..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has a decent battery, too: 1000mAH compared with the ~700mAH battery found in the Sony, CyBook, etc.
Isn't the Cybook's 1000 mAh? I thought it was, I mean, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it was.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
*coughs significantly in Robertb's direction*
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Isn't the Cybook's 1000 mAh? I thought it was, I mean, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it was.
You're absolutely right, it is. I must have been thinking of the Sony, which is 700 or 750, IIRC. Thank you for the correction.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Native support of HTML is a dream....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
One of the BeBook guys was in China yesterday and he saw the V5 ... he said it was "cute". He didn't see the V9, however ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
On the second page of the Chinese site I found this picture of the Hanlin V5 with a scroll wheel on the right edge. The Chinese text says that this "scroll wheel" is in addition to the original 2 sets of buttons for page turning, making a total of 3 ways to turn pages. See the bottom picture on this link.
http://www.mobread.com/news/exclusive/2009363.html
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote