Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Is there a way to get the time from your Kindle 2 while reading?

First, thanks everyone for all your great help and ideas on this forum. It really is a great community.

I switched from a Kindle 1 (I only had it for two weeks) to a Kindle 2. I miss being able to hit ALT+T to get the time to appear on the screen. Does anyone know if this is possible to do with the Kindle 2?
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Just press the menu button. The time will appear at the top of the screen.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You can search for @time as well.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Heh I was looking for this shortcut yesterday too.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
On the Kindle 1, <Alt>-T would give a time down in the corner, one of the early reports on Kindle 2 said that shortcut still worked ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Would it not be easier to look at your watch? Unless you dont wear one that it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
oh wow, learn something new every day.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
I don't always have a watch on. Sometimes I am reading in bed, sometimes I am reading in my jammies on the porch, etc. I really miss the quickness and ease of alt+t from Kindle 1. I can't seem to get it to work for the K2. Pressing menu seems to be the best option right now, but it isn't as quick and non-distracting as it used to be on K1. Oh well. No biggie. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Pressing menu seems to be the best option right now, but it isn't as quick and non-distracting as it used to be on K1. Oh well. No biggie. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
I actually find it more convenient. Instead of having to use two fingers to press the alt and t keys I simply shift my thumb to the menu and press it.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
On the Kindle 1, <Alt>-T would give a time down in the corner, one of the early reports on Kindle 2 said that shortcut still worked ...
Alas, no. I tried several times. I missed it very much.

I was very happy when MobileRead users pointed out to me that I could get the time in Menu mode.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've only ever used the menu to pull up the time, but then again, I really didn't have my K1 for very long before switching to the K2.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
wonder if k2 has a TTS for the time?
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, TTS only works in books and such.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Would it not be easier to look at your watch? Unless you dont wear one that it
Many (most?) young people (I qualify for AARP) don't wear one.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote