Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Wordpress Vs Textpattern

I've just registered my site and I'm investigating CMS's and blogging engines to use. So far, I've whittled it down to Wordress or Textpattern.

For Wordpress the userbase is strong, lots of plugins, dedicated blogging and so forth. But it seems, on testing to be slower than Txpattern.

Txpattern is lighter, easier to modify the CSS and seems to be more flexible overall.

Do you have any experience with either? What would your choice be? Is there another blogging engine or CMS out there that you've used and prefer?

Which would you choose?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I love WordPress. It's simple, it's beautiful, and it is extremely comfortable for the developer to work with. I have started out with my personal blog being done in WordPress, then I realized that it's also capable of non-blog-type sites. So it is now my CMS of choice, and so far I have been able to tackle any request with it. For the inexperienced person it is simple to install and set up.

I think I tried textpattern in my CMS-finding days but it didn't capture me like WP did.
Why don't you install them both on your server and give 'em a spin?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I love WordPress. It's simple, it's beautiful, and it is extremely comfortable for the developer to work with. I have started out with my personal blog being done in WordPress, then I realized that it's also capable of non-blog-type sites. So it is now my CMS of choice, and so far I have been able to tackle any request with it. For the inexperienced person it is simple to install and set up.

I think I tried textpattern in my CMS-finding days but it didn't capture me like WP did.
Why don't you install them both on your server and give 'em a spin?
Thanks for the reply.

I actually have had a bit more experience with Wordpress over the years, and have found it to be flexible and quite easy to use. Textpattern's approach intriguied me, the flat CSS, the absence of the infamous 'loop' and the in-built possibilties that seem to take some more work in Wordpress. The problem with Textpattern is that it's not as widely used as Wordpress, therefore there's less actual quick-and-easy plugin style modifications that can be made.

I'm actually testing them off-line on a localised Apache install as I design the site and get it finalised. Just waiting for my domain to be registered and then I'll start some live testing.

Still haven't made up my mind yet
Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Been using Wordpress for years on a number of sites. I've always found it to be incredibly robust, reliable, and functional. Anything from the simplest tumblr-log style site to a complicated CMS can be done using Wordpress.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned

Well I plumped for Wordpress in the end. Just uploading the base files to my site and I'll go from there. Thanks for your opions
Advert