Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
spiegels
lifetime reader
spiegels began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Shrinking Amazon free book list

As a newbie to Kindle, I have been following a lot of the conversation here about content. When i began looking for free, but not free domain books last week, amazon had 35 books available. Today the same search yields 25 books. Is this something that constantly changes? i was thinking that either Amazon or the publisher authorize a certain number of free downloads and when the number is achieved, the book gets pulled from the free list.

This is not a complaint but more fo a question about this works.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12359201...6%3A0-0&page=1

P.S. I really don't have much interest in these books but hey, it's a start.

Steve
spiegels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It does change often. Also there was a big release of free titles from Random House that expired yesterday (they'd been free for about 2 months).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
MarcoAD
MarcoAD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There are many more on Amazon than what your search shows. If you click on all Kindle books and then sort by price: lowest to highest, there is a ton of free material. I've downloaded quite a few classics, etc. by just clicking through the sorted list.
MarcoAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
spiegels
lifetime reader

Marco

You're right there are over 7,400 free books on Amazon but all but 26 (as of this writing) are free domain meaning there are no longer any author's rights to the content (something like deceased for 70+ years).

My search is for the specific free books that are not free domain.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
MarcoAD
MarcoAD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Gotcha, gotcha... I apologize for my not paying attention, hehehe....
MarcoAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoAD View Post
There are many more on Amazon than what your search shows. If you click on all Kindle books and then sort by price: lowest to highest, there is a ton of free material. I've downloaded quite a few classics, etc. by just clicking through the sorted list.
It works the same on Fictionwise. Also, some of the previously free books have gone up to a few cents, so you eventually find them when trolling for free books sorted lowest to high.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
joshewah
joshewah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
I find it annoying that all those public domain files have been added. I used to be able to sort by price and get all the promotional material in an easy list.

I find that files from sites like feedbooks are better formatted than the ones on Amazon anyway. Plus, the documents strip out pictures. I downloaded an old magazine that had an article about Abraham Lincoln and it had paragraphs about photos that I couldn't even look at. Plus pages and pages I had to thumb through that were just listings of the images that weren't even there.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
spiegels
lifetime reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
I find it annoying that all those public domain files have been added. I used to be able to sort by price and get all the promotional material in an easy list.
Have you tried this search site?

http://www.jungle-search.com/US/kindle.php

it may help remove some of your frustration.

Steve
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Schweet! Thanks for the Link!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
joshewah
joshewah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Yeah, pretty sweet. They have an option for exactly what I was talking about.

Ahh, it looks like the -domain thing is what excludes public domain. So its basically the same thing in the original post. Makes sense.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The list of free books really just depends on the promotions that are going on. There are lots of freebies that come and go. We try to get them posted in the "Deals and Freebies" section. Click on "Forums" then on "Deals and Freebies." Always a good source for the inner cheapskate.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

You're singin' my tune there!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sweet, I didn't know about these.

I download the healthy house book and the cooking book. I think I'll skip the romance novels for now
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, the addition of the domain books has caused frustration. But I try to check frequently - last week there was a book that was accidentally free for a few hours. I missed it, but several others got it.

I even downloaded the Harlequin books even though I've never read a romance novel in my life, just because they were free. And if I don't ever read them, meh. They were free .
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn_eyed_girl81 View Post
Yes, the addition of the domain books has caused frustration. But I try to check frequently - last week there was a book that was accidentally free for a few hours. I missed it, but several others got it.

I even downloaded the Harlequin books even though I've never read a romance novel in my life, just because they were free. And if I don't ever read them, meh. They were free .
I got them too. I haven't read a romance book since I was 12. Now I remember why.