Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Indyrm03
Indyrm03 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Unhappy "USB device not recognized"

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I am having a difficult time getting my computer to recognize my PRS 505. When I connect my reader to the computer I get an error message that says "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".

Can anyone explain what i can do to fix this problem. Thank-you!!!!!
Indyrm03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Try restarting your computer. (You probably don't need to do this, but it's probably the easiest fix, without knowing details of your hardware/software arrangement.)

Sometimes Windows just doesn't acknowledge the existence of its USB ports, especially if you regularly connect & disconnect things from them. At least, that's what happens to me. I'm very familiar with that error message, and sometimes I can fix it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" button, and sometimes I can only fix it with a restart. (I think of it as "Windows has become confused.") Make sure to let Windows finish loading, with all its ancillary programs (like virus protection) before plugging anything into the USB port.

If you JUST got your Sony, you may need to let it charge before Windows deigns to recognize it. Windows may be looking for a folder structure that it can't access because the Reader is busy filling its batteries. (Or something like that. My IT/Tech skills are limited.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Also, did you download the software yet?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote