Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
nick_f
nick_f doesn't litternick_f doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 505
Quick question! margin settings?

Hey all what margin settings etc do you use on calibre to convert lit to lrf/epub.

Thanx
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I want to maximse the number of words per screen (thus minimising the number of page turns), so I use 10 for left and right, and 0 for top and bottom. I don't use 0 for left and right because I find characters can be difficult to read when they are right up against the left and right sides of the screen. This doesn't seem to be a problem for top and bottom though, so I use 0 there.

I also use 8 pts base font size. On small zoom, this is just about readable for me. If my eyes are tired/the lighting is not great, I can zoom into medium, which gives about 10 pt size. I never use the large zoom.

I convert to LRF not ePub--the latter does not have full justification on the PRS.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd like to interject and ask what margins are comparable to Sony's? I love the ginormous margins, personally.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I love the ginormous margins, personally.
Why?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why?

BOb
No clue. Habit? I read a good 75 ebooks like that before reading one that wasn't that way. It won't stop me from reading a book (I did read Refuge), but I just prefer it.

I know, I'm a weirdo.
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:

I know, I'm a weirdo.
hmm...
I think that probably applies to every member here really
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
hmm...
I think that probably applies to every member here really
Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use margins of 0 for my creations. I know some prefer margins. Left/right margins of 10 are not too bad especially with top/bottom margins of 0. At 10 point, I can get 27 lines of text per screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I'd like to interject and ask what margins are comparable to Sony's? I love the ginormous margins, personally.
Quote:
Why?

BOb
Quote:
No clue. Habit? I read a good 75 ebooks like that before reading one that wasn't that way. It won't stop me from reading a book (I did read Refuge), but I just prefer it.

I know, I'm a weirdo.
actually large margins are considerably more comfortable to read, since they allow space for the eye to turn and make it harder to lose your place in the page when skimming from the end of one line to the beginning of the next. i also prefer a good-sized margin.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually large margins are considerably more comfortable to read, since they allow space for the eye to turn and make it harder to lose your place in the page when skimming from the end of one line to the beginning of the next. i also prefer a good-sized margin.
Woohooo! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Yay!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
If you are having the problem where the line is too long, then your font is to small for the line length.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
If you are having the problem where the line is too long, then your font is to small for the line length.

BOb
both a reasonably sized font *and* margins are necessary for optimal reading conditions. trust me. my font is not too small, and i didn't say the line was too long. i said you need margins for comfortable reading.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Top, left and right 5 points, botton 0 points.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
The book I'm reading right now has 10 point on all sides but I generally prefer 15 point on the left and right. I'm not fond of the excessive margins that come with books from the Sony store and in Adobe DE.

Last edited by MarciaCat; 02-16-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typos!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
The book I'm reading right now has 10 point on all sides but I generally prefer 15 point on the left and right. I'm not fond of the excessive margins that come with books from the Sony store and in Adobe DE.
In this case, Adobe DE = PDF.

We normally don't get excessive margins with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote