Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #1
M A
Junior Member
M A began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Vienna
Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11. Gen.)
A hobby project: calm board & puzzle games for the Kindle browser

Hi everyone,

E-Ink has fascinated me for a long time, and I always thought a Kindle
would make a great device for board games, for example on holiday: the
calm display, readable in sunlight, battery that lasts for weeks. But
almost every game site I tried in the Kindle browser was unusable,
with animations smearing across the screen, cookie banners, and scripts
that froze the browser.

I work in IT and started building this on my own: Sudoku and Memory
were finished, and Nine Men's Morris was in progress. Then AI tools
helped me extend the collection much faster, following the design
rules and structure of the games I had already built. That's how my
small project of board games and Sudoku on the Kindle finally came
together.

https://www.yesssgames.com is a small collection of nine games:
Sudoku, Solitaire, Chess, Connect Four, Reversi, Nine Men's Morris,
Backgammon, Memory and Nonograms.

A few things I paid attention to:
- No CSS animations at all, so no smearing. The screen only changes
when something actually happens.
- High-contrast black and white, large touch targets.
- No account, no cookies, no third-party scripts. Your progress is
stored locally in the browser.
- Each game is a single small file, so it loads quickly even on older
devices.
- The two-player games can be played on one device lying between you,
with the second player's view rotated 180 degrees.

I've tested it on my Kindle Paperwhite. I also wrote a short guide on
finding the browser and setting a bookmark, since typing URLs on an
E-Ink keyboard is no fun:
https://www.yesssgames.com/guides/games-on-kindle.html

Known limitations: you need a Wi-Fi connection to load the games, and
it doesn't work on Tolino devices, whose browser is too limited.

It's certainly not perfect, and I'm sure there's plenty I haven't
thought of. But it plays well, and I hope it's fun for anyone who has
been looking for something like this for a while. It certainly is
for me.

If you have a Kobo, Boox or PocketBook, or an older Kindle, I'd really
appreciate hearing whether it works on yours and what looks off.
Feedback on the games themselves is very welcome too.

Thanks for reading!
M A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programming Games for the Kindle (PW3 & others) miomaz Kindle Developer's Corner 4 06-29-2016 10:07 PM
Free (Kobo) Lazy Project Manager & the Project From Hell [Business Advice Case Study] ATDrake Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) 1 02-10-2016 05:23 AM
More Kindle Touch browser games- mahjongg, shishen-sho kiri57 Amazon Kindle 2 01-24-2013 03:02 AM
100 HTML puzzle games for Onyx Boox!!! artematopeya Onyx Boox 0 02-03-2012 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.