Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,664
Karma: 30496938
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Cleaning up books with Edit Books errors

As part of cleaning up my library, I've ended up with 726 books (from 7937 epub2 files) that have an error when I run the Edit Books check.

The biggest problem is 'unexpected unknown property', and the biggest offender is 'so-language'. It seems to be an issue with older files (and to a certain extent with self-published books). I'm guessing it's something translated from word-processing software.

Other unknown properties seem connected to text formats and text layout, also properties dealing with before and after. (I'll have to be more specific later on.)

What would be useful is to know which properties are safe to delete: I've pretty well cleaned out the adobe properties.

Font errors are another issue: mostly mismatches in font names - when you correct them, you get the same error the other way. Other font errors are unpack errors (lack of space) and no permission to embed. I have no idea how to fix them.

I'm also seeing empty links; this seems to be an issue when I've split an omnibus, mostly before I got the update that allowed you to define which files are common to all components. I suppose I can re-split the omnibus, but that will be tedious as I'd have to replace the files with new ones.

Other errors: well, I want to deal with the bulk of the errors before I start listing the details. I'm also not going to bother with cleaning any book I don't load onto my Kobo; there's 2 Chinese language books from a Hugo packet - one has over 13,000 errors, the other has over 14,000. I'm also not going to bother with graphic novels with over 1,000 errors.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,998
Karma: 65700000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
THESE ARE WARNINGS, not errors.
I have a saved search for the so-language (Word remnant)
To delete

As these are for personal use. Does the book run on you DEVICE (Calibre and Sigil will forgive WEB page legal code.)? Do as I do. IGNORE what you see.
The font unpack issue may need a replacement or simple deletion (the device falls back).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,664
Karma: 30496938
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I thought so-language was something to do with Word... Safe to delete then?

These are all ebooks I've purchased or other obtained legitimately a Public Domain, so I'm not fussed about warnings.

The interesting thing is running the Validate Library plug-in; I have nearly 3800 Fatal epubVeri errors. Just over 3400 don't have any errors in the Edit Books check. So what gives? My books are all ePub2 (I haven't updated beyond calibre 7.26 yet), so is ePubVeri validating for ePub3?

Looking at one of the clean books failing ePubVeri, it's failing RSC-005: attribute "epub: prefix" is not allowed here and RSC-005: attribute "epub:type" is not allowed here.

Last edited by maddz; Yesterday at 12:08 PM.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,998
Karma: 65700000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I always delete the so-language. AFAIK I have never had any of my device (all 3 brands) stumble on it (as proper, they are supposed to ignore).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 22,863
Karma: 34252730
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
The 'so-language' property was/is an artefact from Open Office Writer2HTML extension.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning up errors across multiple epubs w00dent0p Editor 1 01-24-2022 06:35 PM
PW2 not cleaning up when books removed from device cvkemp Amazon Kindle 2 07-05-2015 09:56 PM
Correcting errors in books HFC3 Library Management 2 07-07-2013 08:19 PM
PRS-505 Trying to transfer books, getting various errors Lirael Sony Reader 1 02-04-2011 09:20 PM
Cleaning books--Book Designer or other? dstampe Sony Reader 8 12-30-2007 07:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.