Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #1
b4ldm4ch1n3
Junior Member
b4ldm4ch1n3 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Device: Kindle 8gen
Cool [KT3 / SY69JL] Recovered a Kindle stuck on the boot logo

I recovered a KT3 (model SY69JL, Kindle Basic 8th gen) that was frozen on the boot screen (logo on top, tree-with-a-kid picture below) and that Windows didn't detect at all. I'm posting what worked, including the dead ends, in case it helps someone with the same symptom. It was a single unit, so please treat it as one data point, not a guaranteed recipe.

Short version
  • Try another USB cable. The first one was charge-only. With a data cable the device showed up as VID_15A2 PID_0063, which uuu -lsusb reports as MX6SL in SDP mode. So the CPU was alive and it was recoverable over USB. (It was not the battery, and there is no "BIOS" to flash.)
  • Loaded a fastboot-capable u-boot over SDP with uuu (MollySophia's imx6_android_u-boot_kindle). The fastboot trigger there is two power-button long presses within LP_FASTBOOT_THRESHOLD seconds (15 by default; "LP" = long press). I raised it to 600 so it can be met while loading over USB. It needed a 40 s forced restart between the two loads.
  • With fastboot, flashed the bootloader and stock partitions from the CracKdroid kindle8.230118.zip package (restore.img, then userdata, diags, diags_kernel, kernel, system). Each command needed its own fastboot window (~8 s, VID_18D1 PID_4E40), so I automated "wait for the device, run one command".
  • The system booted but the home screen stayed blank (lock screen, power menu, Wi-Fi and keyboard worked). Dropping an empty DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in the root and rebooting brought up the setup wizard and everything worked. (That trick comes from the KT3 demo-mode thread here.)
  • Jailbroke with KindleBreak (the unit ended up on 5.12.2), then Hotfix, then KUAL. KUAL only opened after I typed ;log mrpi in the search bar (I can't say with certainty that this was the fix; it was the last thing changed before it worked). KOReader (kindlepw2 build) then ran fine.

Things that cost me the most time
  • The cable (twice: detection, and later fastboot writes failing with AdbWriteEndpointSync ... semaphore timeout).
  • Google's fastboot.exe didn't see the device after installing WinUSB with Zadig, because Zadig uses its own interface GUID. Setting DeviceInterfaceGUIDs to {F72FE0D4-CBCB-407D-8814-9ED673D0DD6B} fixed it.
  • The package's fastdownload.exe hangs (100 % CPU) if the fastboot window closes mid-transfer. Doing the same writes one command per window with fastboot was more reliable.
  • Timing is everything. The window is short (~8 s), so a polling script plus a device that keeps rebooting is what makes it work. Once the system boots, the window no longer opens by itself: it needs the double long press (first press ~10 s until it resets, then start the second press while the logo/tree screen is showing, before the progress bar). If the second press comes after the system has loaded, nothing happens.
  • Windows Defender flagged the CracKdroid zip as Trojan:Script/Phonzy.A!ml. I read the batch script before using it (it only calls fastboot/adb); I suspect a false positive but could not audit fastdownload.exe, which is closed and unsigned.

What I don't know
  • Why the first boot with the new bootloader showed the "repair needed" screen and later ones didn't.
  • Why the home screen was blank before DO_FACTORY_RESTORE.
  • Whether ;log mrpi is what really fixed KUAL.

Build notes: the u-boot tree from 2013 doesn't compile with a modern GCC (I used 10.3). I needed a few small fixes (extern inline in headers, inline on __foo functions that have a weak alias, and a missing compiler-gcc10.h). I've put them in two separate patches: one for the build fixes and one for the threshold. [PATCH_LINK]

Full write-up (step by step, commands, and a "what I don't know" section): [GUIDE_LINK]

Thanks to the people in the KT3 debricking thread and to MollySophia for the u-boot; none of this would have been possible without that work. Happy to answer questions or test things if anyone has the same fault.
b4ldm4ch1n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fastboot, imx6, kt3, u-boot, unbrick


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Nook GlowLight 4 Plus Stuck on Boot Screen After Flashing Magisk Patched Boot v lyzloy Nook Developer's Corner 1 01-27-2026 08:36 PM
Kindle Basic (kt3) won't boot properly. kme0 Amazon Kindle 0 08-22-2023 08:47 AM
KT3 kindle 588 (KT3)'s TTL(serial port) and USB boot(magic key) m30 Kindle Developer's Corner 26 08-13-2023 05:32 AM
KT3 Kindle e-reader(KT3) stuck in Bootloop Kus Kindle Developer's Corner 7 10-12-2018 01:22 PM
Pocketbook Ultra 650 stuck at boot logo Dandan7932 PocketBook 6 10-02-2015 03:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.