Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #1
Zakaria
Junior Member
Zakaria began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: N905
Unhappy Touch (N905) with screen unresponsive

Hey, I recently had my touch subject to a bit of abuse. Some kids were playing with the power button, switching it on and off quickly. I grabbed the ereader from them afterwards, and it worked fine.

I later tried to use it in the living room, and I assume the battery was dead because it would flash blue > green in the typical bootup process but there was no response on the screen, so I set it back on the counter.

Afterwards, one of the kids got a hold of it again, dropped it on the floor (I'd say from about knee-thigh height) onto the hard floor.

I've now found myself trying to use it and it seems to be dead. I've tried the following
- Disconnect/reconnect battery
- Reset button
- Let charge for ~1hr (I remember the battery being around ~25%, but there are more important details on the battery below)
- No SD card so my hands are tied in the case of software corruption
- Home button + power switch to reset the kobo, the first time doing that had the reset process (disco light was my only visual indicator) going for what seemed to be half an hour, so I disconnected the battery to continue troubleshooting, but I tried it again about 25 minutes ago and the process seemed to complete in a reasonable time (about 5 minutes)
- Charging yields a green light

I believe the issue might be the screen (which shows no visual damage and has survived much bigger falls) but I'm not familiar with these as much as some other devices so was looking to get a second opinion.

I would like to clarify that the battery has been replaced following an instructables guide on soldering a new (aliexpress easylander) battery on to the old bms board, I initially thought that might have been the issue but I ruled that out when the boot process ran even when disconnected. This is the first time I discharge it so maybe it's cheap garbage and went to a voltage below where it can power a boot? Not sure.

TL;DR N905 was played with by kids and now screen is unresponsive despite the rest of the device seeming to work fine.
Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,748
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sadly, it does sound as if the screen may either be disconnected or damaged. You can try reseating the ribbon cables going to the display to check for disconnection.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Reply

Tags
bricked, broken, dead, touch


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch Kobo Touch N905 SD upgrade d1nuc0m Kobo Reader 6 08-16-2025 01:00 PM
Forma: touch screen unresponsive franklekens Kobo Reader 4 09-22-2021 03:49 AM
kobo n905 not responding to touch - uses? fafive Kobo Reader 2 03-18-2021 02:28 AM
KOreader on Kobo N905 - unresponsive touchscreen dwl99 KOReader 5 07-05-2016 03:15 PM
Kobo touch(n905)vs kindle latest touch Smartie Which one should I buy? 6 06-23-2015 09:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.