Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Catcher in the Rye or A Clockwork Orange?

These are two novels I have been wanting to read. Is there anywhere on the net to get them? Sony's store doesn't have them, of course.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
These are two novels I have been wanting to read. Is there anywhere on the net to get them? Sony's store doesn't have them, of course.
Have you tried your library's e-book section?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Neither of these are in the public domain, I'm afraid, so you won't find them here. I checked Amazon, who I think has the largest ebook selection and neither of them are for sale for the Kindle. So I think that probably means that there are no legal copies available anywhere at the moment, even at public libraries.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Sooner or later it will come out. About a year ago I couldn't find any of Steinbeck works. Now most of his know works are out. A lot of publishing companies are working to reproduce the classics.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, I found Catcher in the Rye, not for sale though. . .
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Oops just realized that these are books of commentary about Clockwork Orange rather than the screenplay itself. Although careful search also turned up the screenplay (link not provided since it didn't appear to be an authorized copy).
---
Clockwork Orange is ~$20 at eBooks.com, Diesel Books, and Books on Board
http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=217193 ($20.00)
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...nge-eBook.html ($21.00)
https://www.booksonboard.com/index.p...162&v=synopsis ($20.00)

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-27-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Well, I found Catcher in the Rye, not for sale though. . .
J.D. Salinger is still alive. I don't believe he's authorized this book as an ebook.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Oops just realized that these are books of commentary about Clockwork Orange rather than the screenplay itself. [snip]
It was a novel before it was ever a screenplay. Are any other books by Anthony Burgess released as ebooks?

Back when those books were published, there was no concept of ebooks included in the publication contracts, which covered only paper releases of the books. So the authors still very tightly control any electronic distribution. More recent contracts include the wording such as "in print as well as electronic media and any media which may become available during the life of this contract" so that publishers are now covering their asses against being blindsided by new technology from which they could make a lot of money. So many new authors have no control over whether a book goes into electronic distribution or not, but the older authors control such releases very rigidly.

So you might want to try to get in touch with the authors and urge them to release the books in ebook format, specifically for the Sony Reader. I'm sure that Amazon is trying to bring pressure to bear to get permission to release them as Kindle formatted files.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
A lot of Burgess is available but not legally so. This is one of the problems with the copyright system. It denies users huge numbers of works. In fact, there are tens if not hundreds of times the numbers of dead works which cannot be published due to copyrights than there are published works. It would make sense from a social benefit perspective to go to a compulsory licensing system or even a one dollar per year copyright maintenance fee but big media pays congress off to avoid this.
Personally, I buy a work and remove the DRM whenever possible. I believe in paying for the work even if the pricing structure makes no sense. If the work is not available then I feel little, scratch that, no guilt in downloading from any source.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
cut

So you might want to try to get in touch with the authors and urge them to release the books in ebook format, specifically for the Sony Reader. I'm sure that Amazon is trying to bring pressure to bear to get permission to release them as Kindle formatted files.
I don't think you'll be hearing from Mr. Salinger!

[BD added.]

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote