Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
HarperCollins Flubs It

Well we had last summer's thread on Tor and ebooks and now HarperCollins flubs it.

I have been reading the fantasy books by Fiona McIntosh. I finished 2 of her series and now wanted to buy the first book in her new series. So I went to the HarperCollins website where I had bought her other ebooks.

Here's how it goes: First, because I couldn't find her new book at their SciFi site, I went to the main HC website and searched on her name. No problem, the book comes up as shown in this link for Royal Exile. But take a look at the web page. It clearly states that the book costs $7.99 and is available as either an ebook or a paperback.

Now click the ebook format you want and the Buy Now button. It takes you to a sister site for HC but not to the book in question. However, now if you search for Fiona McIntosh, the book does come up (it didn't a few days ago) but look at the pricing (click here) -- The list price is now $14.99 and the discount price is $11.99.

I wrote HC originally trying to locate the book and they provided the link. When I saw the price differential, I wrote as follows:

Quote:
Thank you for your response. However, I do not understand the pricing. Why would I pay $14.99 (list price)/$11.99 (discount price) for a DRMed ebook that I can buy the print version from you for $7.99 list price (see here: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9...e/index.aspx)?

More importantly, your website at the link above indicates the ebook list price is $7.99. There seems to be a pricing problem.
HC promptly replied as follows:

Quote:
We will pass on your concerns about pricing. Customer feedback is always valuable to us.
Thank you,
The HarperCollins Ebooks team
I responded as follows:

Quote:
Please let me know if the book will be made available as an ebook for the $7.99 + the 20% discount. If it is, then I'll buy the book; if it is not, then I will not buy it because it makes no sense to lease a book for more than I can buy it for and I am no longer buying print books of this type of book.
Now I sit and wait for a response. Will it come? Will HC offer the book at the advertised price of $7.99. Only the Shadow knows for sure, but I'll bet not.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
It's absolutely insane that they would charge almost twice as much for an ebook as they do for the paperback version. One would think that there is a lot more overhead costs tied up in the paperback version in the form of raw materials, production, short-term storage, transportation, etc.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
They did this recently on a number of titles (the 7.99 pbook vs 14,99 ebook) I was interested in. I emailed them asking about it, but never got a reply.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
They've actually been "flubbing" it for the last few months...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I always find this laughable, since the inverse should be true; ebooks should cost at least slightly less.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They want to make sure that the e-book doesn't cannibalize print book sales, because print books have to be taken back and pulped or resold to discounters if they don't sell.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
They want to make sure that the e-book doesn't cannibalize print book sales, because print books have to be taken back and pulped or resold to discounters if they don't sell.
And the solution to that would be so easy! Promote the ebook readers and make sure the mass of your sales go to ebooks. Which means less pbooks in storage, less pbooks to be taken back and pulped or sold to discounters and less trees to be cut down to create those books!

It's a win-win situatlion...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
You usually don't see mass market paperbacks go to discounters, and those are the ones we are having a problem with. They get their covers stripped off and thrown in the trash by the booksellers.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
In my case it won't cannibalize print book sales -- it will mean no sale at all.

More importantly, get the pricing right. $7.99 on one website and $14.99 on a sister site is ludicrous.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
They aren't the only one doing this. Penguin is doing the same thing with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
MM Paperbook price is $7.99.
Ebook price $17.47 (after a $7.48 BoB discount).
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
They aren't the only one doing this. Penguin is doing the same thing with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
Name of the Wind is a weird one. It was available for a short time as an ebook when the HC came out them pulled. Now it's apparently available again, but with a price based on the HC still. Penguin a lot of times will "forget" to lower an ebooks list price when the MMPB comes out, sometimes it takes them a year or more to adjust the price.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Some similar madness is going on at S&S. I bought this ebook a year ago from them for $2.26, and now it's $9.99.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Wo.../9780743419642

It's a 20+ year old book that is apparently OUT OF PRINT and they have just now decided they want $9.99 for DRM'ed LIT!

...from my receipt email in Jan 2008:

Product Line 12 : Wounded Sky
Product ID: 3540103
Item Price: $2.26
QTY Ordered: 1
Shipping Method: Digital Library

I emailed them to ask what was going on (nicely), but I'm sure they will not respond.

It's almost as if these big publishers are so scared of eBooks they are intentionally torpedoing any chance of wide adoption with ridiculous pricing (as if the DRM situation wasn't bad enough).

I wish I had bought all 100+ of the Star Trek TOS books a year ago when they were from $2.26 to $5.99 each. Many of them are now $9.99.

Last edited by hybernation; 02-10-2009 at 10:20 PM.
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybernation View Post
It's almost as if these big publishers are so scared of eBooks they are intentionally torpedoing any chance of wide adoption with ridiculous pricing (as it the DRM situation wasn't bad enough).
Yeah, sometimes it does seem that way, doesn't it?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybernation View Post
Some similar madness is going on at S&S. I bought this ebook a year ago from them for $2.26, and now it's $9.99.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Wo.../9780743419642

It's a 20+ year old book that is apparently OUT OF PRINT and they have just now decided they want $9.99 for DRM'ed LIT!

...from my receipt email in Jan 2008:

Product Line 12 : Wounded Sky
Product ID: 3540103
Item Price: $2.26
QTY Ordered: 1
Shipping Method: Digital Library

I emailed them to ask what was going on (nicely), but I'm sure they will not respond.

It's almost as if these big publishers are so scared of eBooks they are intentionally torpedoing any chance of wide adoption with ridiculous pricing (as it the DRM situation wasn't bad enough).

I wish I had bought all 100+ of the Star Trek TOS books a year ago when they were from $2.26 to $5.99 each. Many of them are now $9.99.
S&S and Penguin seem to be the biggest perpetrators of this.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
This pricing thing sometimes happens on the Sony Bookstore too. There were a couple specific books I wanted. Kindle version and paperback version were paperback cheap. Sony version was $20+. I emailed them about it and they said they talked to the publisher and they dropped the price on one of the books to $12. Still not the $7 of the paperback. I didn't buy it.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote