Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Matth3w
Matth3w began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Arabic script support?

I have many books in Persian-Farsi. I was wondering if a) I could get an OCR program to scan them in, and b) could I then convert them to the LRF format? Will it accept foreign characters?

Also what OCR would you use for Arabic script support?
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LRF files do not support right-to-left scripts.

PDF with an embedded font is your best bet.

Presumably there must be OCR apps which deal with non-Roman alphabets, but I'm afraid that I don't know what they are. I would imagine OCR of Arabic would be a real challenge, given the cursive nature of the script and the huge range of "styles" of writing! Rather like trying to OCR handwriting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Matth3w

If you care to provide one or two pages digitized (300dpi’s) I can test them for you.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
ali_sade
Enthusiast
ali_sade began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC, Hanlin V3
I have tested Readiris as Farsi OCR, and it sort of works. Also usually an OCR enabled application comes with scanners when u purchase one.
ali_sade is offline   Reply With Quote