Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is The Diary of Anne Frank PD?

Considering that she died in the 40's, I would expect this to be a PD book by now, but I can't find it in manybooks or gutenberg. I've tried googling, but haven't come up with anything useful.

I read this when I was 15 (many many years ago ) and after watching the recent BBC series I fancy reading it again.

I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me. Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
No. The copyright is still held by The ANNE FRANK-Fonds Foundation http://www.annefrank.ch/ I believe.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. What is the legal limit for copyright? I thought it ran out 50 years after the author's death. Are there circumstances under which it lasts longer?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Most of Europe is on life+70 years.
But, unless you want to read it in the original language, you will have to wait until the English translation is out of copyright.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm not sure why this book isn't available anywhere. I checked Project Gutenberg Australia and they didn't have it either. In Australia their copyright expires 50 years after an author's death, so I thought they would have had it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'm not sure why this book isn't available anywhere. I checked Project Gutenberg Australia and they didn't have it either. In Australia their copyright expires 50 years after an author's death, so I thought they would have had it.

They might have the original, but not the translations. Each translation has its own copyright.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They might have the original, but not the translations. Each translation has its own copyright.
I have sent an email to the followng link asking about availability. Will let you know if I get a response.

By God, if "mein kampf' can be out there, this certainly should be..............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
James Murphy did the first complete English translation of Mein Kampf, and he died in 1946. So it's out of copyright in lifetime+50 countries, and will be out of copyright in life+70 countries in 2017. (Hitler died before James Murphey, so we don't need to consider the copyright of the original when looking at the translation.)

Anne Frank died in early 1945. But lifetime+50 only applies to published works. Unpublished works have different rules, and it's possible that even the original isn't yet completely out of copyright, even in lifetime+50 countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I have sent an email to the followng link asking about availability. Will let you know if I get a response.

By God, if "mein kampf' can be out there, this certainly should be..............
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
James Murphy did the first complete English translation of Mein Kampf, and he died in 1946. So it's out of copyright in lifetime+50 countries, and will be out of copyright in life+70 countries in 2017. (Hitler died before James Murphey, so we don't need to consider the copyright of the original when looking at the translation.)

Anne Frank died in early 1945. But lifetime+50 only applies to published works. Unpublished works have different rules, and it's possible that even the original isn't yet completely out of copyright, even in lifetime+50 countries.

yes, I wasn't referring to the legalities.

I was referring to the moral responsibility of having both out there. Sorry for the confusion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Desertgrandma, I totally agree with you; it's like allowing Adolf to have a voice when Anne is silenced by copyright. Unless, that is, I go and buy the book or dig up loads of documents to prove my ID and rejoin the local library.

(I don't drive or have a recent passport, boy do I have problems proving I'm me.)
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buy a copy at a bookstore. That way the revenue from it goes to the Anne Frank Foundation and will do some good in the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For those interested, and strongly enthusiastic, my sister (who since a young age has always been very interested in Anne Frank and her Diary, and has read it quite a few times) would highly recommend The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition. It was produced by the Netherlands Institute For War Documentation, is over 800 pages long, is the result of a detailed study by the Institute, contains large amounts of background information, and includes three versions of the Diary running parallel to each other on each page (the version as edited and presented by her father, the original journal, and the manuscript as edited by Anne). I bought it for my sister as a 30th birthday present, and for her it was the ultimate text of and about the Diary. I didn't realise this when I bought it for her, but apparently I "did good".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Do you read Dutch? Remember that, even if the Dutch original were to be in the public domain (which it isn't), the English translation will be under copyright protection until 50 or 70 years after the death of the translator. I don't believe it was translated into English until the 1960s, so the English translation will most definitely NOT be in the public domain anywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Desertgrandma, I totally agree with you; it's like allowing Adolf to have a voice when Anne is silenced by copyright....
Looking at it another way, the law protects the intellectual property rights of Anne Frank and her heirs, but offers no protection whatsoever to Hitler and his heirs. I kind of like that idea.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
According to Wikipedia, Barbara Mooyaart-Doubleday did the English translation that was published in 1952 for Vallentine, Mitchell & Co. in England, and for Doubleday & Company in the U.S. A search on Google indicated that as of 2001 Barbara Mooyaart-Doubleday was 81-years-old and still alive.

montsnmags highly recommend The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition but this edition is not available as a Kindle book, nor does their appear to be any edition of The Diary of Anne Frank available in the Kindle format.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anne frank, public domain