Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #1
minidonnie
Junior Member
minidonnie began at the beginning.
 
minidonnie's Avatar
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Basic 10th Gen
Kindle Jailbreak in 2024

I have a Kindle Basic 10th Gen running fw 5.16.7 and I would like to install Koreader on it, is there any way to jailbreak or downgrade the firmware to an older version? I read some posts but it was hard to comprehend, any help is appreciated!
minidonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 02:58 PM   #2
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
BionicGecko's Avatar
 
Posts: 235
Karma: 1544837
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Unfortunately no. Kindles can only be downgraded if already jailbroken, and the latest jailbreakable version is 5.16.2.1.1.

Version 5.16.3 also introduced a lot of system-level changes and the existing hacks no longer work, so it is unlikely that a functional jailbreak will come out anytime soon.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2024, 06:15 PM   #3
minidonnie
Junior Member
minidonnie began at the beginning.
 
minidonnie's Avatar
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Basic 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Unfortunately no. Kindles can only be downgraded if already jailbroken, and the latest jailbreakable version is 5.16.2.1.1.

Version 5.16.3 also introduced a lot of system-level changes and the existing hacks no longer work, so it is unlikely that a functional jailbreak will come out anytime soon.
May it be possible for a jailbreak to come out in like a month? or is it better to just buy a secondary one and just go with that?

(I would also like to personally buy another one anyway to get the page turn buttons)
minidonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:58 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,672
Karma: 226728044
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidonnie View Post
May it be possible for a jailbreak to come out in like a month? or is it better to just buy a secondary one and just go with that?

(I would also like to personally buy another one anyway to get the page turn buttons)
No, it probably won't come out next month. Maybe not even next year. No one knows until someone discovers a way.

You'd be better off buying a device that doesn't need jailbreaking to install KOReader (Kobo, Pocketbook, Onyx Boox).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mergen3107's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,177
Karma: 4236616
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
I went Kindle way only because there is no 300 ppi 10-inch Kobo yet
I gambled, but was lucky to get one with FW <= 5.16.2.1.1.

If you plan to buy a Kindle that you want to get JaliBreak on, make sure:
1) Kindle is brand new and unopened.
2) Look at the box's back, find 16-character serial number. If you divide it into four groups of four characters, like AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD, pay attention to CCCC. These numbers are YWWD, where Y is the last digit of the year (for new Kindles, 1 is 2021, 2 is 2022 and so on), WW is the week number of that year, D is the day in that week. This is the manufacturing date of the Kindle. You need YWWD to be 321X or less, like 317X, or even 2WWD. This will ensure that the FW is <=5.16.2.1.1 for Scribe or <=5.16.0.1 for other Kindles - where getting JB is possible.
3) Because of the above conditions, probably your best bet is an open market like eBay where you can see the actual box before shipping (except mass sellers, unless they are kind enough to take photos for you before you purchase). You can also try your luck on Amazon, and then return unopened box if the manufacturing date is too new (or even opened, I remember they used to accept it as is anyway for full refund, don't know how it is now).

Then, with JB and FW, there other considerations.
1) You can get JB, then you need to block OTA updates, then install KOReader and other stuff. If it gets updated to a newer version, you can downgrade back and restore JB. Here you need to keep track of when this happens an never do two in a row of either FW upgrade or factory reset without restoring JB in between (otherwise it will be lost).
2) There are some positive moves towards making stuff useful on FW versions 5.16.3 and above: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/11986 . The thing is, Amazon switched compilation code libraries from soft float ones to hard float ones. This means the compiling tools and software compilation needs to be tweaked specifically for this change. I am about to test KOReader on 5.16.9 soon.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2024, 09:41 PM   #6
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!
 
Posts: 48
Karma: 50000
Join Date: Nov 2017
Device: Nook, Kindle
To dispute the "buy something else" crowd, I'll point out that Kindle devices are heavily subsidized because they are customer hostile.

One option is to never register the Kindle with Amazon. This makes it a bit harder when it tree-crashes, but if its purchased on your account, you can still use the warranty.
An unregistered Kindle doesn't get software updates. I'm not sure if it still gets the advertising.

Another option is to register, and quickly go to permanent airplane mode. You can then download purchased books with another device and push them to the Kindle although not quite as convenient.

A third option would be to prevent the update from landing on the user exposed file system, if you have a non-MTP Kindle.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:53 AM   #7
minidonnie
Junior Member
minidonnie began at the beginning.
 
minidonnie's Avatar
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Basic 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
I went Kindle way only because there is no 300 ppi 10-inch Kobo yet
I gambled, but was lucky to get one with FW <= 5.16.2.1.1.

If you plan to buy a Kindle that you want to get JaliBreak on, make sure:
1) Kindle is brand new and unopened.
2) Look at the box's back, find 16-character serial number. If you divide it into four groups of four characters, like AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD, pay attention to CCCC. These numbers are YWWD, where Y is the last digit of the year (for new Kindles, 1 is 2021, 2 is 2022 and so on), WW is the week number of that year, D is the day in that week. This is the manufacturing date of the Kindle. You need YWWD to be 321X or less, like 317X, or even 2WWD. This will ensure that the FW is <=5.16.2.1.1 for Scribe or <=5.16.0.1 for other Kindles - where getting JB is possible.
3) Because of the above conditions, probably your best bet is an open market like eBay where you can see the actual box before shipping (except mass sellers, unless they are kind enough to take photos for you before you purchase). You can also try your luck on Amazon, and then return unopened box if the manufacturing date is too new (or even opened, I remember they used to accept it as is anyway for full refund, don't know how it is now).

Then, with JB and FW, there other considerations.
1) You can get JB, then you need to block OTA updates, then install KOReader and other stuff. If it gets updated to a newer version, you can downgrade back and restore JB. Here you need to keep track of when this happens an never do two in a row of either FW upgrade or factory reset without restoring JB in between (otherwise it will be lost).
2) There are some positive moves towards making stuff useful on FW versions 5.16.3 and above: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/11986 . The thing is, Amazon switched compilation code libraries from soft float ones to hard float ones. This means the compiling tools and software compilation needs to be tweaked specifically for this change. I am about to test KOReader on 5.16.9 soon.
Can I consider non-touch kindles for jailbreak?
minidonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:05 AM   #8
H644b
Member
H644b began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2023
Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
A weird thing happened to me relating to this. So I had my kindle break, got customer service to send me a new kindle and then 10 months later fixed the old kindle. Apparently the kindle had stayed in non-working condition and had not updated making it jailbreakable. My main kindle is the newer one as I don't want to touch my books with a jailbreak or anything. So I basically got 1 extra kindle for free.
H644b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:18 AM   #9
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 63
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
2) Look at the box's back, find 16-character serial number. If you divide it into four groups of four characters, like AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD, pay attention to CCCC. These numbers are YWWD, where Y is the last digit of the year (for new Kindles, 1 is 2021, 2 is 2022 and so on), WW is the week number of that year, D is the day in that week. This is the manufacturing date of the Kindle. You need YWWD to be 321X or less, like 317X, or even 2WWD. This will ensure that the FW is <=5.16.2.1.1 for Scribe or <=5.16.0.1 for other Kindles - where getting JB is possible.
FYI: I just bought a new Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen yesterday on sale at Target with the hope of jailbreaking it. CCCC numbers were 4146 so manufactured this year. It had firmware 5.15.x.x (can't remember last digits). I was able to jailbreak it using LanguageBreak after updating to 5.16.2.1.1.

Edit: By the way I had plenty of time to register it and turn on Airplane mode before it updated. So I can download Amazon content using USB downloads, convert to epub and read using Koreader.

Last edited by jlinear; 06-14-2024 at 08:46 AM.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:42 AM   #10
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mergen3107's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,177
Karma: 4236616
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
Alright, that gives some more hope then
Thanks for sharing!

Make sure to block the OTA updates.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #11
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 63
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Alright, that gives some more hope then
Thanks for sharing!

Make sure to block the OTA updates.
Will do. And thanks for your work on LanguageBreak.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:39 AM   #12
minidonnie
Junior Member
minidonnie began at the beginning.
 
minidonnie's Avatar
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Basic 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, it probably won't come out next month. Maybe not even next year. No one knows until someone discovers a way.

You'd be better off buying a device that doesn't need jailbreaking to install KOReader (Kobo, Pocketbook, Onyx Boox).
My kindle was bought in 2019 so it came with a very old software version, is there any way to get that version back to the stantard version it came with?
minidonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:06 PM   #13
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mergen3107's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,177
Karma: 4236616
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinear View Post
Will do. And thanks for your work on LanguageBreak.
I only tried it on Scribe
LanguageBreak itself is a merit of Marek, NiLuJe, and co
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:07 PM   #14
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mergen3107's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,177
Karma: 4236616
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidonnie View Post
My kindle was bought in 2019 so it came with a very old software version, is there any way to get that version back to the stantard version it came with?
If you are on a newer FW (>=5.16.3) and had no JB, then no.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #15
minidonnie
Junior Member
minidonnie began at the beginning.
 
minidonnie's Avatar
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Basic 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If you are on a newer FW (>=5.16.3) and had no JB, then no.
It's sad, thanks anyway for all the answers!

Last edited by minidonnie; 06-14-2024 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Mispell
minidonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short Fiction Dorrington, Albert: Sally of Sunday Reef (2024); v1, 2 Jan 2024 Pulpmeister Kindle Books 0 01-02-2024 11:52 PM
Short Fiction Dorrington, Albert: Sally of Sunday Reef (2024); v1, 2 Jan 2024 Pulpmeister ePub Books 0 01-02-2024 11:51 PM
Short Fiction Dorrington, Albert: Sally of Sunday Reef (2024); v1, 2 Jan 2024 Pulpmeister Other Books 0 01-02-2024 12:27 AM
Hacks Kindle (3) Keyboard : Upgrade and Jailbreak or Jailbreak and Upgrade?? prado Amazon Kindle 3 06-11-2021 10:13 PM
Amazon Kindle, firmware 5.6.5, about jailbreak closed kindle. Lenorav Kindle Developer's Corner 6 04-26-2016 04:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.