Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2024, 06:21 AM   #1
cakepuller
cakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo, kobo aura, kobo glo hd, kobo clara bw
Did charging fry my Kobo Glo HD?

I'm so sad. Last night I plugged my Kobo Glo HD into a Samsung phone charger which reads: "Output 9V, 1.67A, or 5.0V, 2A". Checked that it was charging and went to sleep.

This morning, I see the screen on the Glo HD frozen with the "Computer Detected. Would you like to connect your eReader to your computer to manage files? [CANCEL] [CONNECT]". No problem, I thought, since this was the screen I saw last night when I plugged it into the charger, and this was the usual screen always when I charged the Glo HD before.

But then I couldn't do anything with the device. I pressed the power button for a minute. No red light at the button. No change to the screen. Used a paperclip to push the Reset hole. No change.

I thought maybe the SD card needed re-seating. So I popped the hood of the Glo HD and re-seated the SD Card. No change when I repeated the above.

It was the first time I used that particular charger to charge the Glo HD. It was plugged into that charger for about 6+ hours. I didn't know about the "Output 9V, 1.67A" rating till I checked this morning. That charger always worked fine for my other devices like phones and watches.

In the past, for the Glo HD, I'd always used a different charger which reads: "OUTPUT: 5V, 2A" only.

I'm posting here in the slim chance that someone knows something that might help revive my Glo HD.

Boo hoo hoo.
cakepuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't know if charging your Kobo fried it, but when you use a charger that looks like a computer USB, you want to stop using it as it's not a good charger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2024, 10:05 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepuller View Post
[B]Last night I plugged my Kobo Glo HD into a Samsung phone charger which reads: "Output 9V, 1.67A, or 5.0V, 2A". Checked that it was charging and went to sleep.
Those chargers do only 5V by default, unless faulty.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Referring back to a message from a couple of years back, one friend of mine destroyed his newish Onyx ereader by connecting it to a phone charger that was not USB PD compliant.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:54 PM   #5
PHughes
Enthusiast
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
I'm guessing the device simply did not charge. I would use a known good cable, and a known good charger and charge it overnight.

Phil
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2024, 02:15 AM   #6
cakepuller
cakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo, kobo aura, kobo glo hd, kobo clara bw
Thank you for all the responses.
Bye bye Kobo Glo HD.
Hello Kobo Clara HD

Edit:
Actually, Hello Kobo Clara BW

Last edited by cakepuller; Yesterday at 10:06 PM.
cakepuller is offline   Reply With Quote