Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2024, 10:44 AM   #1
bmlawson
bmlawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
USB-C Magnetic

I am considering purchasing magnetic tips or a magnetic USB charging cable to charge a Kobo Libra 2 for an individual who has experienced problems with damaging their USB-C port when connecting the charging cable. Have any users tried magnetic tips or a magnetic cable? Are they compatible with the Kobo Libra 2, and are there any recommended brands available for purchase?
bmlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
No brand of magnetic USB-C connector is going to be compliant with the USB standard.

I've heard that they can lead to damage in their own ways (arcing, intermittent power, etc), though I've never tried one.

Here's an interesting discussion on the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardwar...t_recommended/
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #3
bmlawson

Thanks for your reply, I have reviewed the conversation from three years ago, but I am seeking more up-to-date details or insights from individuals who have firsthand experience with magnetic USB-C technology.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The standard committee hasn't added a magnetic connector standard, so any devices out there are just as out of compliance as they were then -- most of them made by no-name companies that won't stand behind their product when they melt your device.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:14 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawson View Post
I am considering purchasing magnetic tips or a magnetic USB charging cable to charge a Kobo Libra 2 for an individual who has experienced problems with damaging their USB-C port when connecting the charging cable. Have any users tried magnetic tips or a magnetic cable? Are they compatible with the Kobo Libra 2, and are there any recommended brands available for purchase?
I know it sounds rude, but magnetic interface adaptors are bad for micro USB and maybe worse for USB-C (more connections and higher currents and/or voltages, though the no existing Kobo takes more than 1.5A). Possibly glasses are a better idea. My dad was still using the micro-USB on his Kindle at 90.

You exchange having to look at what you are doing for something less reliable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 05:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
No brand of magnetic USB-C connector is going to be compliant with the USB standard.

I've heard that they can lead to damage in their own ways (arcing, intermittent power, etc), though I've never tried one.

Here's an interesting discussion on the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardwar...t_recommended/
Try this...Click image for larger version

Name:	61oEh+uWWgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	207354

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Magnetic.../dp/B0C4NQL6SY
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looking at the reviews I find it interesting that some have titles or comments like:
  • Pop went my laptop
  • Using these causes my phone to run very warm. I should have done more research before I bought them....turns out this is a common problem that in extreme cases can even cause a fire.
  • Unfortunately sparks were created at the connection.
  • The pins are already bent and will likely pose a fire hazard/fry your port.

...but, hey, it's not my Kobo.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #8
bmlawson

I wish the solution was that simple. She is almost 90 as well and does wear her glasses. Unfortunately her motor skills are quite poor and she has previously caused damage to USB-C ports. I was hoping to find a way to prevent this from happening.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:23 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
I wish the solution was that simple. She is almost 90 as well and does wear her glasses. Unfortunately her motor skills are quite poor and she has previously caused damage to USB-C ports. I was hoping to find a way to prevent this from happening.
You might consider a USB-C Qi receiver. Does she use a case? Does she ever transfer via USB, or only charge?

If she uses a case and doesn't transfer via USB you can put the Qi adapter on the back of the Kobo (hidden by and held in place by the case) plugged into the USB-C port and just put the Kobo on a wireless charger to charge it. Much safer than the magnetic cables.

The extra heat from wireless charging might slightly degrade the battery life, but less of a concern than a fire.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 PM   #10
bmlawson

That sounds like a very workable solution. She prefers to have a case and has no idea how to transfer data. The cable is solely utilized for charging the device. Thanks so much, your assistance is much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard

Good luck. I used one of those with my kobo for about 6 months and it worked well, but since I use my port for transfers I stopped using it.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:47 PM   #12
bmlawson

Thank you, is there any USB-C Qi receiver that you would recommend?
Old 04-04-2024, 10:22 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The unit I tried from Amazon was a Type C USB-C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver. It worked fairly well but wireless charging my Sage was not as convenient as I had hoped. You may want to look for a unit that comes with the receiver and the charging pad.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:27 AM   #14
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you, is there any USB-C Qi receiver that you would recommend?
Not from me, the one I used was micro-usb, I don’t have a usb-c reader yet.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:26 AM   #15
rjwilmsi
rjwilmsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I purchased a pair of magnetic tips for USB-C about two years ago. I use one on my work laptop and another on a phone. For the laptop it avoids strain on the cable/connector with how I store and move it.

As these magnetic tips aren't USB-C compliant I suppose nobody should officially recommend them to anybody, but I've had no problems with the ones I use. The laptop is a standard Dell so will typically draw 20 W or so at the most (45 W USB-C charger).

I bought ones rated as PD 100W, at least in the hope that they would comfortably handle up to ~30W. So to me they are fine for a low-power device such as ereader (or phone/tablet on a 5V 2A charger). Once you've established that the ones you have don't overheat at that charge level then I think they are a better bet than the risk of damaging the port due to accidental abuse or just excessive wear & tear. I wouldn't use them for a high power (> 50 W) laptop etc. but that's way above the charge rate of an ereader.
rjwilmsi is offline   Reply With Quote