Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
adam1234
adam1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre conversion issue

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a short story for reading on my Kindle. The story is a web page. Saving the web page as HTML and loading it into Calibre usually works.

When I save https://www.tor.com/2017/07/19/the-martian-obelisk/ (save as web page, html only, Firefox, mac), and add it as a book, then try to open it by double clicking, I get an error:
"Unable to expand "the martian Obelisk...Unknown.zip" It is in an unsupported format"
But the file is not a zip, it's HTML (with an inordinately long header block, but still, clean html that I can read with an editor, and I tried emptying the entire header block from the local archive.)

So I think there's a bug in perhaps the format recognizer code?

Either way, I'd appreciate advice on working around the issue.
adam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:20 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I copy/paste into LO Writer and fix formatting etc.
In this case I'd paste unformatted text, add image, save odt and save as docx for Calibre after sorting styles.

HTML from real web sites is unreliable.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-13-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1234 View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to convert a short story for reading on my Kindle. The story is a web page. Saving the web page as HTML and loading it into Calibre usually works.

When I save https://www.tor.com/2017/07/19/the-martian-obelisk/ (save as web page, html only, Firefox, mac), and add it as a book, then try to open it by double clicking, I get an error:
"Unable to expand "the martian Obelisk...Unknown.zip" It is in an unsupported format"
But the file is not a zip, it's HTML (with an inordinately long header block, but still, clean html that I can read with an editor, and I tried emptying the entire header block from the local archive.)

I'm using calibre 7.3. I saved as web page in Firefox. I then loaded the HMTL file as is. I then copied the image and pasted it as the cover. I converted it to ePub. Worked no problem.

I am using Widows 11 if that helps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:23 PM   #4
adam1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm using calibre 7.3. I saved as web page in Firefox. I then loaded the HMTL file as is. I then copied the image and pasted it as the cover. I converted it to ePub. Worked no problem.

I am using Widows 11 if that helps.
Did you save as a simple or complete page? Did you load the HTML as a book? (I used one book at a time)

Asking to help narrow it down.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
adam1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I copy/paste into LO Writer and fix formatting etc.
In this case I'd paste unformatted text, add image, save odt and save as docx for Calibre after sorting styles.

HTML from real web sites is unreliable.
Thanks - this is the first time I've ever had a problem, and the thing that caused me to create a thread was the "zip". The addition of a .zip to a filename that's not a zip seems like a bug.

We agree html can be all over the place. What I saw (after I deleted all the cruft in the <header> block) seemed like reasonable and simple html, but I didn't read down to see how much cruft came after the body.
Advert
Old 01-13-2024, 06:10 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hi,

I'm trying to convert a short story for reading on my Kindle.
Looks like an interesting short story, so I put it on my "to read" list.
It only took less than 10 minutes to create the epub. Most of that was fiddling with the cover. So try this...
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Martian Obelisk - Linda Nagata.epub (228.2 KB, 30 views)
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Did you save as a simple or complete page? Did you load the HTML as a book? (I used one book at a time)

Asking to help narrow it down.
I did a Save page as and code Web page HTML only. I then dragged/dropped the HTML file into the calibre library window. I then selected it and hit E on the keyboard. I put the graphic in the story as the cover. Clicked OK and then converted to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:42 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

For what it's worth, when calibre adds a saved web page, it will save the various bits and pieces in a .zip file. If you open the .zip file in an archiver, you will see a .htm file, a content.opf file, a mimetype file and a META-INF file. Oddly similar to what you see when opening an ePub file.

I did a quick copy and paste of the document and spent a minute doing cleanup to generate an ePub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Martian Obelisk - Linda Nagata.epub (206.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 01-13-2024 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I should have noticed that Karellen had already posted an epub but will leave my version
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:38 AM   #9
adam1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did a Save page as and code Web page HTML only. I then dragged/dropped the HTML file into the calibre library window. I then selected it and hit E on the keyboard. I put the graphic in the story as the cover. Clicked OK and then converted to ePub.
Huh. I could swear I had converted files without the E step in the past but thank you!
Old 01-14-2024, 12:40 PM   #10
adam1234

Thanks to @DNSB and @Karellen for doing the conversions for me!