Notices

Old 01-06-2024, 08:45 AM   #1
GoddessartsMag
GoddessartsMag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion fails, please help

Hello,

I am sorry if I double a question here.

I try to convert a pdf in MOBI or epub to use at amazon kdp for self publishing.
Everytime Calibre creates a messy overlay of pages, erases text or creates a blank white single page.
The options are so complex that I cannot understand them or even spend days into learning their purpose.

I give you the data I got and I hope anyone can give me a clue, I am not very experienced.

- the pdf is created via blurb (I am afraid they block the futher usage via their software?)

- the pdf is mostly text and many high res pictures, the text is embedded as paths (scalable) but not as text as in a word document or pure text pdf (no way to mark and copy it)

- the pdf is 52 MB, Version 1.4, 215,9 X 279,4 mm

- font are AbrilFatface, Arial, AvenirLT, Quicksand, Tahoma

I tried to create high res png out of each page but the scalability of text is naturally lost this way

I just want that pdf to be a MOBI or epub in the exact same format and layout without any losses of design.

Is this impossible?

I know ebooks are supposed to have a flow text and not a static page you need to zoom in...
But that is what I want.

Embedded graphics should keep their quality.

I tried several converters but fail everytime.

Maybe I am too unexperienced to do this but I would be very pleased to have some answers from pros.

Many thanks.
GoddessartsMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
PDF is a terrible format to convert from. See the thread: Read this before Posting PDF Questions

You will be much better off going back to whatever format you used to produce the PDF from and using that as the source for conversion to EPUB.

Amazon no longer accepts MOBI format for publishing, except for some specific special cases.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2024, 10:30 AM   #3
GoddessartsMag
GoddessartsMag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for your quick helpful reply
GoddessartsMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:14 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Note a fixed layout Kindle ebook will not work on most actual kindles. You can't make a decent ebook that works on any size Kindle or phone screen with Kindle App unless the content is reflowable.

It's not like publishing on paper.

A PDF is an end result purely for publishing on paper, that can only be viewed electronically on large screens. Over half of ebooks are read on phone screens. Most Kindles are 6" with white, black and 14 greys. Some are now larger (7"). Only one is 10" and it's not common.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-06-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote