Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
Nacho
Nacho began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard
Kobo Libra 2 left and right margins

Hi,

I've recently got a Kobo Libra 2 and some books have margins too large for my liking, about half a centimeter or more even with the margins slider set to zero in the device.

With my old Kindle, I used Calibre to edit the books with:

html {
margin-left: -50px;
margin-right: -50px;
}

My new Kobo, however, does nothing, although the preview in Calibre shows the change in margins. Once the book is transferred to the device, it keeps the original margins.

Does anyone know a way to decrease left and right margins below the zero setting, either in the device or through Calibre?

Thanks for your help.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If the margins are set to 0 in the CSS, your Kobo will display edge to edge. You may want to check the book(s) in an editor and see where/how the margins are set in the CSS.

You could also try changing your added CSS code to:

Code:
html {
margin-left: -50px !important;
margin-right: -50px !important;
}
to force the override.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 12:13 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
When I have books with too wide margins I use calibre to do an ePub to ePub conversion with a profile that has narrow margins.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:27 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When I have books with too wide margins I use calibre to do an ePub to ePub conversion with a profile that has narrow margins.
I just remove all body margins other than 0 in the editor before I load a new book to my Kobo (I also remove/change lots of other stuff).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:00 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's a lot easier to go into the CSS and set the margins to 0 that are causing the overall L/R margins.

By editing ePub to how I want, I've learned a lot about HTML/CSS for ePub. So if you did it, you too could learn HTML/CSS for ePub.

Also, you can remove a lot of rubbish. SOmetimes the CSS can have lots of excess classes. Sometimes the cover is either generic or too small so that can be fixed. Sometimes you get previews/adverts for other books. They can be removed. Embedded fonts you don't want can be removed. Any of the HTML you don't want such as review blurbs can be removed. Metadata can be fixed if needed. And more.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2023 at 05:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By editing ePub to how I want, I've learned a lot about HTML/CSS for ePub. So if you did it, you too could learn HTML/CSS for ePub.
Yes. I knew nothing about css/html when I started editing my books, but it wasn't actually all that difficult. There's still a lot I don't know, because I haven't studied it in depth; I know just enough to make my books look the way I want on my ereaders. It doesn't even take much time - a few minutes per book at most, once you've gotten into the habit.

It's totally worth it to me, because I hate being so annoyed with bad formatting I have to quit reading and fiddle with the settings (which often doesn't help). Of course many people aren't fussy and can swallow any nonsense the formatting program has coughed up, so messing with the book code isn't worth it to them. Unfortunately I'm pretty fussy and can't just ignore things like huge margins/line height/text indents, spaces between paragraphs and so on.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I knew nothing about css/html when I started editing my books, but it wasn't actually all that difficult. There's still a lot I don't know, because I haven't studied it in depth; I know just enough to make my books look the way I want on my ereaders. It doesn't even take much time - a few minutes per book at most, once you've gotten into the habit.

It's totally worth it to me, because I hate being so annoyed with bad formatting I have to quit reading and fiddle with the settings (which often doesn't help). Of course many people aren't fussy and can swallow any nonsense the formatting program has coughed up, so messing with the book code isn't worth it to them. Unfortunately I'm pretty fussy and can't just ignore things like huge margins/line height/text indents, spaces between paragraphs and so on.
I get the look I want using calibre and EPUB -> EPUB conversion. 2 mouse clicks and done.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I get the look I want using calibre and EPUB -> EPUB conversion. 2 mouse clicks and done.
Doesn't work in many cases for me (or I'd have to bulk remove things I don't want to remove). I guess my needs are more detailed than yours.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The look I want cannot be done with a calibre conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The look I want cannot be done with a calibre conversion.
I concur with all the above!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Exactly, I don't see the need to muck with CSS when you can have it all automated.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly, I don't see the need to muck with CSS when you can have it all automated.
Yup. More time reading, less time fiddling.*

*No slight intended to fiddlers.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:53 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That depends on what you want. If your needs for formatting are relatively simple, you can get it (in most cases) with conversion; if you want the formatting to be more fine-tuned, conversion won't work so well.

Edit: For example, I recently edited a book where spaces between paragraphs were not coded with margins or padding, there just were empty paragraphs inserted between others. Conversion won't remove those and you'd be stuck with spaces between paragraphs without editing the book. I've seen this one quite often and that was one reason I started to edit the css/html instead of converting.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-30-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That depends on what you want. If your needs for formatting are relatively simple, you can get it (in most cases) with conversion; if you want the formatting to be more fine-tuned, conversion won't work so well.

Edit: For example, I recently edited a book where spaces between paragraphs were not coded with margins or padding, there just were empty paragraphs inserted between others. Conversion won't remove those and you'd be stuck with spaces between paragraphs without editing the book. I've seen this one quite often and that was one reason I started to edit the css/html instead of converting.
What is your process? Do you start reading and make changes as you see things you don't like?
Old 12-30-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is your process? Do you start reading and make changes as you see things you don't like?
No. I don't even check the books in the Calibre viewer first, as there is almost always something I want to remove or change and there's no point in wasting time on any pre-checks. The very first thing I do after editing the metadata is open the file in the calibre editor. I open the html files one after another (checking stuff like ads, praises/raves etc I'd want to get rid of) until I come to the actual content (prologue or first chapter); then I can see what the layout/formatting looks like in the preview window and what I want to change or remove. After doing the necessary edits, I also check the files at the end, for things like samples, excerpts and more ads. Those must go as well.

After saving the edits, I check the book in the viewer and if all looks well, I'll run the page count plugin. The existence of page count in the relevant custom column means the book has been edited and checked.

And only when I've done this with all my new purchases I connect my Kobo and load the books (not necessarily all of them, those I want to read in the near future). Sometimes I may discover additional things I want to change while reading the book, but not that often.