Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2023, 06:11 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Series on Kobo

I have a Kobo Libra 2 and until recently when I sent books from Calibre to my eReader they would be aggregated on the eReader by series.

I sent a couple of books yesterday and those books do not show as part of the series they belong to (in 1 case, I had a series with 8 books in the eReader and I added a new book from that series, in the 2nd case it's a single book that belongs to a series). In both cases the books show on the "My books" section of the eReader, but not under the corresponding series.

Since this last worked I have updated the version of the eReader and the version of Calibre, so the culprit could be either one, or maybe both combined

Have others experienced similar problems? Is there something I can do to debug this, like collecting logs?

Software versions:

Kobo Libra 2: 4.38.21908
Calibre: 7.1 (Linux)
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Did you connect your Libra the second time after importing the new books?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Did you connect your Libra the second time after importing the new books?
Yes, these are the steps:

* add books to Calibre library and make sure they're on the correct series
* connect Libra2 to PC and use Calibre to transfer those 2 books to Libra2
* unmount Libra2
* check books on Libra2, they show but not in the series

I also tried deleting the books from the Libra2 and transferring again via Calibre, wtih the same outcome.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, these are the steps:

* add books to Calibre library and make sure they're on the correct series
* connect Libra2 to PC and use Calibre to transfer those 2 books to Libra2
* unmount Libra2
* check books on Libra2, they show but not in the series

I also tried deleting the books from the Libra2 and transferring again via Calibre, wtih the same outcome.
From those steps it would seem you connected only once? For the series info to show, the device must be connected twice: first, to transfer the books, and after the books have been imported, to get series metadata.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
From those steps it would seem you connected only once? For the series info to show, the device must be connected twice: first, to transfer the books, and after the books have been imported, to get series metadata.
I've never had to connect my Libra2 multiple times to get the series metadata, it always worked as expected after transferring books from Calibre. I have connected the device once more while Calibre is open, but nothing's changed, still those 2 books are not under their series.
Advert
Old 11-28-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin

Just as a test, I transferred a few more books from an unrelated 3rd series, and after disconnecting the Libra2 from the PC and letting it do its sync, those show under the new series, and the 2 books that before were orphaned are now also listed under their corresponding series.

Not sure why sending the new books for an unrelated series has sorted the problem, but I'll take it. I can only surmise that adding the new books has triggered a refresh of the database and the 2 new books have updated metadata.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've never had to connect my Libra2 multiple times to get the series metadata, it always worked as expected after transferring books from Calibre. I have connected the device once more while Calibre is open, but nothing's changed, still those 2 books are not under their series.
Are you using NickelSeries? That's the only way you get series info with only one connection.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Are you using NickelSeries? That's the only way you get series info with only one connection.
No, I'm not using that.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:21 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, I'm not using that.
No idea, then. The rest of us who don't use NickelSeries have always had to connect twice to get series to show, and yes, that is the expected behavior, not a bug.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sorry but without NickelSeries, you can not send the series information with the ebook in a single connect. The workflow is to send the ebook, disconnect, watch the import screen, once you are back to the home screen, reconnect and IF you have metadata management set to auto, the series and other metadata will be added to the database entries created in the import process.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:14 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but without NickelSeries, you can not send the series information with the ebook in a single connect. The workflow is to send the ebook, disconnect, watch the import screen, once you are back to the home screen, reconnect and IF you have metadata management set to auto, the series and other metadata will be added to the database entries created in the import process.
I'm not saying you're not correct, but on my last test I sent a few new books belonging to a series and after disconnecting and letting it sync these books showed on the correct series. This seemed to always work for me until yesterday.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:32 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not saying you're not correct, but on my last test I sent a few new books belonging to a series and after disconnecting and letting it sync these books showed on the correct series. This seemed to always work for me until yesterday.
As I mentioned, you need the database entry before the series & other metadata can be added to it. This requires a connection after the books you send in the first pass to be imported to generate the database entries.

Unless you have installed NickelSeries, that second connection is mandatory. Now if you had installed NickelSeries, there were some issues with reading series information from metadata which were fixed in it's v4 release.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:35 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Now if you had installed NickelSeries, there were some issues with reading series information from metadata which were fixed in it's v4 release.
I have not, until this thread I didn't know anything about NickelSeries. All I can say is that it worked before without multiple connections, and started working again today. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Please note that the second connection does not need to be immediately after the initial connection. Send a couple of books today and then connect tomorrow to send more books. Tomorrow's connection would be the second connection for the books sent today.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:23 AM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Please note that the second connection does not need to be immediately after the initial connection. Send a couple of books today and then connect tomorrow to send more books. Tomorrow's connection would be the second connection for the books sent today.
I understand that, but on my last connection I added a few books for a third series and those books show correctly under that series, as do the 2 previously orphaned books. So, at least for the third series, a second connection was not required.