Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
can kobo libra receive books via email?

I have a new kobo libra2 and an extensive Calibre library.

I often use Calibre's "Connect/share > Email to" function to send books to my kindle. Is it also possible to email books to my new libra?

I'm thinking probably not, because I have hunted through support documentation and mobileread wiki and not found info about how to do that . . . but I am quite new to the kobo device and could easily have missed something.

Thanks!

Last edited by iBeth; 11-20-2023 at 10:54 AM. Reason: needed more accurate subject line
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No. It should be possible to use Dropbox with your Libra 2, however:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344661

Edit: This should work as well:
https://send.djazz.se/

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-20-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
No, but if the thought of plugging your Kobo into a computer to transfer a book is too much hassle, you might be able to leverage some of Calibre's web server plugins.
Cactus Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can't really email to your kindle either. It's Amazon taking a copy and converting it and using the "Whispernet" push service if you happen to turn on WiFi/Mobile for a sync. Environmental cost due to traving internet twice and using Amazon's data centre. Privacy cost too. You are emailing an Amazon server.

It's limited in size, and conversion options/quality compared to Calibre. I used it about twice out of curiosity on each of three Kindles. I'm baffled by the enthusism some people have for it. It's faster to use USB and the ereader charges at the same time. Also works when you have no Internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:31 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
No, but if the thought of plugging your Kobo into a computer to transfer a book is too much hassle, you might be able to leverage some of Calibre's web server plugins.
Yes, makes more sense than sending stuff to the Internet. Though WiFi uses up battery and USB charges it.
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 01:39 AM   #6
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm baffled by the enthusism some people have for it. It's faster to use USB and the ereader charges at the same time. Also works when you have no Internet.
Maybe because the ereader and the computer don't have to be in the same place at the same time. That could be handy for someone who, for example, leaves a dedicated reader in their office for use at lunch or other downtime. Email avoids having to carry the reader back and forth between office and home.

Personally, I've never used the email feature but I can see why some people might find it convenient.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:49 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Personally, I've never used the email feature but I can see why some people might find it convenient.
For someone with multiple Amazon format apps and/or physical devices, I can see somewhat of a use case (syncing reading position, etc.). OTOH, there have been many comments by people about not being able to use a Send to Kindle email/webpage/whatever to send from calibre to their one and only Kindle reader. When using an USB connection is suggested, the response, in most cases, is pretty close to "I've always done it this way and connecting to USB is so inconvenient."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:03 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Maybe because the ereader and the computer don't have to be in the same place at the same time. That could be handy for someone who, for example, leaves a dedicated reader in their office for use at lunch or other downtime. Email avoids having to carry the reader back and forth between office and home.

And maybe you have to help grandpa who lives some distance away and traveling there to plug in USB is inconvenient.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And maybe you have to help grandpa who lives some distance away and traveling there to plug in USB is inconvenient.
I used to help my mother with her Reader. I did so from home. I used Teamviewer to remotely connect to her laptop. I was able to send the eBooks to her laptop and I used calibre to manage the eBooks. I had her plug in the Sony and press the connect button on screen. I did the rest. It was very easy to do.

So yes, grandpa can be helped remotely using USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:05 AM   #10
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
I can send my Ebooks to my Aura One by connecting to the Goodreader app on my IPad via wifi.

Last edited by Grahamk; 11-21-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I used to help my mother with her Reader. I did so from home. I used Teamviewer to remotely connect to her laptop. I was able to send the eBooks to her laptop and I used calibre to manage the eBooks. I had her plug in the Sony and press the connect button on screen. I did the rest. It was very easy to do.

So yes, grandpa can be helped remotely using USB.
Sounds like more work then some granpas want/are able to do.

Probably best to let the Grandpa's decide what works best for them.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamk View Post
I can send my Ebooks to my Aura One by connecting to the Goodreader app on my IPad via wifi.

Are you sending PDFs to you Kobo’s Dropbox folder on a hacked Aura One while using GoodReader as a PDF manager? I can’t think of how else you’re doing that using that app. (It’s not much of a hack, but it certainly isn’t for novices to attempt.)

At any rate, back to the OP: Being able to email an ebook is a handy ability. Some eBook bundle sites used to utilize that distribution method. You’d buy their bundle, give them your email address, then your purchase would automagically appear on your Kindle. Ten years ago, I used to have separate email addresses for all my Kindle devices and apps. But I never actually used them except the one for my Kindle. I believe this was much more useful when Kindles had free built-in 3G connectivity.

I used to achieve a similar effect on my Kobo, but it involved a few more steps. One, you needed Calibre installed with a watch folder. Two, you needed the ability to move the ebook into that watch folder remotely. Three, you had Calibre’s web server running. Yeah…just a “few” more steps.

It’s easier to just send the file to Dropbox now. Google Drive, too, if you have a new enough Kobo.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Except you were emailing to Amazon. You can actually have a real email Client on an Android eink (not Google's Android Mail, which is just giving your credentials to Google's servers), like K9 Email. I've not tried emailing an epub or PDF to it, but I presume I can. Unfortunately even with KOReader I'd rather manage ebooks on the Kobo with Calibre and browse 5000 ebooks by metadata, not filesystem.

I must try a direct email Which no Kindle has ever had.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #14
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No. It should be possible to use Dropbox with your Libra 2, however:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344661

Edit: This should work as well:
https://send.djazz.se/
Just adding that - if you install Dropbox - you can also use the mail to Dropbox option and send an email to your Dropbox email from Calibre.
Then, the files will appear on your Kobo (you just need to place the incoming folders under the main Kobo Application Dropbox folder).
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #15
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
This is the method I use.
It is possible to transfer books directly from iPads/iphones to kobo readers (I used aura one) that support the beta web browser and share the same network. Using an iOS app such as GoodReader (in which the books are stored) start the server and then use that IP address in the kobo web browser. Although somewhat clunky, I find it perfectly adequate for small number of files.
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote