Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #1
omin
omin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke 3, prev Kindle Paperwhite 4
How to add a parent folder? (KOReader + Calibre)

I have a folder called Books and I'd like to add a parent folder Library so that I can separate books from articles.

I was able to set this up by changing the Save template to `{#shelf}/{title} - {authors} ({id})` and updating the Calibre index folder on KOReader.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Calibre to match books in the library with the new parent folder. I tried moving the Calibre metadata from Books to Library but that didn't work.

Last edited by omin; 10-18-2023 at 05:46 PM.
omin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by omin View Post
I have a folder called Books and I'd like to add a parent folder Library so that I can I can separate books from articles.

I was able to set this up by changing the Save template to `{#shelf}/{title} - {authors} ({id})` and updating the Calibre index folder on KOReader.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Calibre to match books in the library with the new parent folder. I tried moving the Calibre metadata from Books to Library but that didn't work.
Not sure what device is that or how this is related to KOReader.

I'm assuming android since you mentioned the "Books" directory.

1. Calibre device drivers use a fixed path to store its metadata. That's usually the only calibre metadata stored on the entire device.
2. When KO searchs for metadata it does so recursively except when it finds a directory with calibre metadata. In that case it assumes everything under that path belongs to that library and aborts the recursive search on that path.
3. KO can handle multiple calibre metadata files on different paths.

A workaround for it is to use the "connect to folder" driver, which will ask you the path of the root of a calibre library.

1. Create the filesystem hierarchy you want on your device (for instance Library/books and Library/articles.
2. Use connect to folder to push books to one of those folders.
3. When using the wireless client you'll need to switch your inbox between the two in order to push books where you like.

Hope it helps. I cannot tell anything about the calibre templates used to determine the path of the books on the device, but hopefully the specifics of the wireless client are covered in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ename-template
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2023, 05:47 PM   #3
omin

That doesn't quite answer my question. I'm using KOReader on Boox Poke 3 to wirelessly connect to Calibre. The Calibre metadata is created in the "index folder" of the KOReader's Calibre settings.

I'd like to add a parent folder, get Calibre to work and show "on device" for the files that are on the device on the Mac, and preserve the reading progress, highlights, and annotations on KOReader.

Last edited by omin; 10-18-2023 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
omin

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to get Calibre to identify the books on KOReader when the index folder is changed to a parent folder.

A workaround is to tag the books that are on the device, delete all the books, change the index folder, add all the books them back, and make sure that the SDR folders are in the right folders.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a better question

KO metadata ought to work out of the box when moving files, unless you're using centralized metadata.

As for calibre metadata each inbox dir receives a root path on creation. You'll need to fix the path there.
Look for ".metadata.calibre" and ".driveinfo.calibre" on the root of your inbox dir.
Advert
Old 10-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #6
omin

I tried moving ".metadata.calibre" and ".driveinfo.calibre" to the parent folder. That didn't work. Also, centralized KO metadata breaks when you reorganize your library. I haven't tried myself but it's described in "About book metadata location.

Oh... I guess it's possible to edit those file and fix the paths. I think that's what you meant? I see that the files are json and each book has a "lpath" attribute.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:09 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Not JSON, Lua syntax that precedes JavaScript by a few years.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
hugleo
hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by omin View Post
I tried moving ".metadata.calibre" and ".driveinfo.calibre" to the parent folder. That didn't work. Also, centralized KO metadata breaks when you reorganize your library. I haven't tried myself but it's described in "About book metadata location.

Oh... I guess it's possible to edit those file and fix the paths. I think that's what you meant? I see that the files are json and each book has a "lpath" attribute.
What about this brand new feature? (hash-based metadata storage) https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/10945

But IIRC have some problems with Calibre send to device option either.
hugleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugleo View Post
What about this brand new feature? (hash-based metadata storage) https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/10945

But IIRC have some problems with Calibre send to device option either.
Yup, by default the calibre reader stores reading position et al within the epub bundle, making it another different file.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Not JSON, Lua syntax that precedes JavaScript by a few years.
Lua syntax everywhere, but here is plain json

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...data.lua#L4-L6