Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-28-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Save as in File Menu

Hi Kovid,

Sometimes I miss the 'Save As' file menu option, as usually found in other editing programs as shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Save as - Editor.png
Views:	81
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	203994

I'd guess there's a technical reason for this, do you think we can request this addition?
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use save a copy
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Save a Copy allows name and extension change

The File menu applies to the Book

OTOH
In the file browser, the context menu applies to just that piece

I think some of the naming choices is because of the International utilization of Calibre (and Kovid just likes it )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use save a copy
ok, thank you
Old 09-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
Comfy.n

In this case i didn't want to use Save (Ctrl+S), because I wanted to keep the epub file in the library untouched, after removing the font-family style in CSS. I've opened it from the Viewer toolbar Editor button.

So I thought: if I had the 'Save as' option, I would just edit it right away after clicking the Editor button in the viewer, then use the 'Save as' button to store the modified file in a temporary location, and then drag this modified version into the library.

Using 'Save a copy' is somewhat cumbersome to me, as I usually make the decision to keep both files while having the Editor already open, so I have to save the copy to some folder, open file explorer, right-click it to open with editor again, do the edits, hit control + S, and add this modified file to the library.
Advert
Old 09-28-2023, 11:05 AM   #6
Comfy.n

Perhaps an option to show the current title full path on the Title bar would help... Sometimes I have both files open in Editor (the original and other one under modification), so this should be a good way to distinguish them.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
save as is better when you want to edit the copy immediately save as copy is better when you want to save a backup and edit the current file. I chose the latter use case as more important. And you dont need to go through that whole rigamarole, use save a copy then click file open in the editor itself and open the saved copy. No confusion.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #8
Comfy.n

sure, but I thought we could have both, as in Notepad++, for instance. Still think the full path in title bar would be helpful!
Old 09-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Comfy you make a point.
Some sort of indication when you are not normal (editing the Library Copy via the Library GUI) , which would go away if you are now on an external file (launched from the command line).

The editor already indicates unsaved by removing the grey from the Save (floppy) icon. ( change that icon if external to the Library, or use a HD icon if normal?)
Old 09-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What's a floppy?

I actually have some here*, but I can imagine users that have never seen or used one. I think Apple was first without them.

[* I think the 8″ are gone, but there are 5.25″, 3.5″ and 3″ still here and even a couple of tower PCs in attic with Linux and able to manage almost anything except Apple II and ACT Sirius 1/Victor 9000. Not sure about Amiga. A USB Floppy drive can only read standard DOS FAT12, no CP/M, Amstrad or Amiga etc. A couple of last Mobos ever with floppy controllers, which only need dumb cables for 8″, 5.25″ and 3″ drives, but I gave away the last 8″ drive about 10 years ago.]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And you dont need to go through that whole rigamarole, use save a copy then click file open in the editor itself and open the saved copy. No confusion.
I think most times I prefer to have both files open, the original and the other one under modification...
Old 09-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #12
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What's a floppy?
I think I never fully realised that the 'Save' icons everywhere were inspired by floppy disks, actually
(though I may find some, here, if I dig enough)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Comfy you make a point.
Some sort of indication when you are not normal (editing the Library Copy via the Library GUI) , which would go away if you are now on an external file (launched from the command line).

The editor already indicates unsaved by removing the grey from the Save (floppy) icon. ( change that icon if external to the Library, or use a HD icon if normal?)
Yes, I'd be comfier with whatever sort of distinguishing visual indication between identical files opened from different paths. In my settings, which I believe are the default for the Editor, I see something like this in the Title bar: Book Title - [format] - author, regardless if it's a file opened from the Library GUI or some other location, so maybe there could be an option to show that as C:\path-to-books-under-editing - Book Title - [format] - author or C:\CalibreLibrary-... etc.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What's a floppy?

I actually have some here*, but I can imagine users that have never seen or used one. I think Apple was first without them.

[* I think the 8″ are gone, but there are 5.25″, 3.5″ and 3″ still here and even a couple of tower PCs in attic with Linux and able to manage almost anything except Apple II and ACT Sirius 1/Victor 9000. Not sure about Amiga. A USB Floppy drive can only read standard DOS FAT12, no CP/M, Amstrad or Amiga etc. A couple of last Mobos ever with floppy controllers, which only need dumb cables for 8″, 5.25″ and 3″ drives, but I gave away the last 8″ drive about 10 years ago.]
I think I found an old ZIP drive (100M) I had not recycled. I tossed all the disks years ago.
You are right! Only an ancient Dell has internal floppy support . Never tried to read a non- FAT standard floppy on a USB Floppy
Old 09-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Forgot about the evil zip drives. Derived from the huge 1980s Bernoulli drives. Never personally had one. Replaced loads!
We sold people the MO drives. More expensive but actually worked and the 3.5" cartridges could survive a washing machine OR magnets (Laser and magnet needed). I think minidisc and PSP was related tech.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't care what Apple or anyone else says, the ubiquitous Save icon 💾 is a 3.5" diskette and it ain't floppy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floppy_disk_8_inch_thumbnail_0000.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	203999  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote