Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2023, 06:05 AM   #1
Yungfil
Yungfil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Suggestion for Auto format conversion mod

Hi all, When I send an ebook to a device Calibre kinks in the auto format conversion (normally epub to azw3 in my case) - which is a great feature. The problem I have it also saves the converted file to my Calibre database, typically doubling the folder size for that particular book. It also means that if I have been modifying the epub file I have to be careful to delete the old azw3 file before I send to a device so that Calibre will convert the later epub before sending.
My database is 8gb, 8000 books so double book formats is becoming an issue.
If I'm flagging an issue that already has a setting to resolve this is settings, my apologies!
Any thoughts
Yungfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 03:47 AM   #2
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Mostly I delete the original file after sending it to Calibre and later do a backup of the Calibre library folder once a month. you can do the opposite too.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2023, 05:43 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only delete formats I'm going to update by conversion. I also never delete the imported originals as I might edit them in Calibre.

Storage is large and cheap. An ebook is small compared to decent images or video.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I only delete formats I'm going to update by conversion. I also never delete the imported originals as I might edit them in Calibre.

Storage is large and cheap. An ebook is small compared to decent images or video.
I do this halfway-a**ed .

I have a column #master where I log the original format type.
If I convert to some other format, it remains as delivered. I edit the format I will use. I do edit the source if that is also what I will be reading. FWIW The actual download goes to a non-calibre archive

OP My current Goto format is KEPUB. My Library has EPUB the are on the fly (way) delivered to mu Kobo (USB). I do NOT have any KEPUB in my Library that I did not buy in that format.
Are you Manually launching the Convert (prior to sending)? That will make a Library copy. Sent to Device WILL convert IF it does not find a format that has been ticked (connected device configuration). The list order is the priority of choice when the Library contains more than 1 entry
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:10 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Personally, I keep both the imported original AZW3s/whatever and the converted ePubs. This way I can adjust the ePub as needed without needing to constantly re-convert to reload onto my device.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert