Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #1
DeepVoid
DeepVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Dim white background in preview pane: how?

I have a little issue I think could be of interest for many Sigil users: I use my computer (Win11Pro) in dark mode; Sigil follows the system settings and adapts its interface to the dark mode. The preview pane, instead, always sports its white background, and this is a major issue (for me at least) because it's so blinding!

I would really love to have a way to dim the white background and make the interface a little more comfortable, especially for long working sessions... I know there is a setting to simulate a black background on the preview pane when the dark mode is enabled, but its contrast is too high, I just would like to have a grey background, and not a full black one.

Currently I adopted a dirty workaround to dim the white page background during editing sessions: I apply a background-color: grey statement to the main css of the book I'm working on, but I always have to disable the rule before deploying the final epub file, very annoying...

Could a dimming function for the preview pane be a useful feature for a future release of Sigil?

Thank you all for any hint

Last edited by DeepVoid; 08-31-2023 at 08:49 AM.
DeepVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It’s been awhile since I looked at the preferences section for the preview pane. Does it not have a background color setting??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2023, 09:28 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. There's a preference setting for Preview to try and match dark mode (dark background/light text). But it won't always work well if the epub's css specifically sets text colors. Prefs=>Appearance=>Preview tab=>"Make Preview simulate a dark appearance in dark mode"

There's also the custom preview css that can be configured if you want to choose your own colors. This feature is documented in the user guide, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-31-2023 at 09:36 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:42 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I didn’t see the custom css explained in detail, just a quick reference of files one may see in the preferences folder. Perhaps I need to keep looking in the guide.

In any case, you can create a custom css file and place it in the Sigil Preferences Folder. Name it: custom_preview_style.css
You can add whatever styling you want (background-color: grey) to that file. You may need to restart Sigil for it to take effect.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I didn’t see the custom css explained in detail, just a quick reference of files one may see in the preferences folder. Perhaps I need to keep looking in the guide.
I merely said it was "documented". "Explained in detail" were your words.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dark mode