Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
Erykz
Erykz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Question Edit book (not responding)

Hello,
I've had this problem twice in 2 days. The editor no longer works. It freezes. I have to close it by force. I am able to solve the problem using the method given by Kovid for the same problem in this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333296
But after 2 days, the problem reappears.
The viewer works correctly, as does everything else. It's rather annoying to have to set up the editor each time.
The first time I had this problem, I hadn't yet updated to the latest version of calibre, 6.25.
Once the update was done, the problem remained.
And now it's reappearing again.

What could be causing this problem?

Thanks!
Erykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where is your configuration folder located?
Calibre is Local Drive only
AND
All files and folders should only be Mirrored, not 2 way sync.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 07:02 PM   #3
Erykz

Calibre is installed on C:
The default configuration folder: C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\calibre
I've been using calibre for years without any problems.
I don't see what could suddenly cause this problem.

Quote:
All files and folders should only be Mirrored, not 2 way sync.
I don't understand what you mean.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erykz View Post
. . .
I've been using calibre for years without any problems. I don't see what could suddenly cause this problem.

I don't understand what you mean.
I suspect @theducks is referring to the calibre library - however, the editor operates on a copy of the EPUB that it creates in its cache folder, which is normally in C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming.

Where is your library?

Try copying an EPUB to the desktop and editing it directly via Windows Open with ==>> C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe. If that works it would suggest your problem is related to the library.

What version of calibre were you using before this problem appeared?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-21-2023 at 07:36 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
Erykz

My library is in the My Documents/calibre

It doesn't matter if I open the epub file from calibre or directly from windows explorer with right click / open with,
the "calibre-parallel.exe" process freezes.
But I just found why, or rather how to prevent it from happening again. I have no explanation why this happens but the problem only occurs when the calibre editor opens on my 2nd screen. It doesn't matter if it's in windowed mode or full screen, it freezes. So to avoid this, I have to work on my main screen. Maybe nothing to do with calibre. Maybe an incompatibility problem with the video driver? I don't know.
At least I have a workaround to avoid this.

But I'm curious to know what @kovidgoyal thinks about this problem.

Thanks for your help. I hope this can help those who have this problem as well.
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #6
Erykz

I forgot your last question. I was using the previous version, 6.24 the first time this happened. I updated to 6.25 but the problem remained the same.
I did however update my video card driver recently before the problem occurred the first time. I have a doubt that this may be the source of the problem since it is related to my second screen. But I will try to revert to the old version to see if that changes anything.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:40 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
QT and video card drivers seem to be having a hate/hate relationship lately.

You could try adding QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" to your environmental variables to see if it helps.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:11 PM   #8
Erykz

thanks DNSDB,
I don't know if i made it correctly but it doesn't work. The problem is still there.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:41 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Erykz - some of your posts went into the moderation queue - I've deleted the reposted messages.

Added: do you use a 3rd party multiple monitor and/or window manager tool?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-21-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:13 AM   #10
Erykz

I had the onscreen control program from LG (My 2 monitors are LG) but it was not running. I uninstalled it but no change. the editor still freezes.
I had power tools from Microsoft. Again, I uninstalled it without any change in the situation. Always reboot between uninstall.
The calibre editor always freezes if it's on my 2nd monitor.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:02 AM   #11
Erykz

I forgot to specify that if I open the editor on my main screen, and I drag it to the 2nd screen, everything works correctly. That's when I open the editor again, it opens to the 2nd screen and that's where it freezes.
I installed an older version of my AMD drivers. Now every time I open the Caliber Editor, it opens on my main screen. It doesn't matter if it was closed while it was on the 2nd monitor. So it looks like a driver problem.
I'm going to update my driver to the latest version and see if it starts doing it again.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:15 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Your last two posts went into the moderation queue - grhh.

I'll give Kovid G a nudge to ask if he has anything to add.

Good luck

BR
Old 08-22-2023, 02:21 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's likely a driver vs Qt WebEngine issue and almost certainly will be fixed by disabling hardware rendering as DNSB suggested.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:54 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A bit of quick help—I hope.

In the search box, enter 'edit the system environment variables' without the quotes.
In the windows that opens, click on the 'Environment Variables' button.
Below System Variables click on the 'New' button.
In the Variable name box, enter 'QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS' without the quotes
In the Variable value box, enter '--disable-gpu' without the quotes.

I've attached an image of what the results looks like on my Windows 11 box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	environment_variable.png
Views:	53
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	203259  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:45 AM   #15
Erykz

That's what I did the first time but it doesn't work. The problem is still there.
At least I know how to work around this problem.

Thansk for your help.

Tags
editors, freezing