Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 PM   #1
ferno
ferno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Books that Changed your Life

In Walden, Thoreau muses: "How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book?"

You know what I mean, those books that empty all the cobwebs out of your brain, or give you a violent but necessary knock on the head. Which books did that for you guys?

For me it was Montaigne's Essais. I don't recognize the person I was when I first picked up that book.
ferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:40 PM   #2
Superphil
Enthusiast
Superphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo original.
For me, without a doubt it was Walden by Thoreau.
Superphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 11:22 PM   #3
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
The two books that changed my life are Walden and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:01 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
This is gonna sound dumb. The Eragon Series by Christopher Paolini . Went 20 years not picking up a single book as of 2010 but reading this series got me reading every day since then. Also it sparked my imagination to a new level that still continues. I learned reading is just not a high school/college chore to endure but can be fun.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
This is gonna sound dumb.
I think it's a lovely answer. Kudos.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 12:29 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Life-changing is a high bar, but books that gave me much to think about and changed my world view include:
  • Medea by Euripedes
  • Agamemnon by Aeschylus
  • A Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
  • Either/Or by Søren Kierkegaard
  • The Diary and Autobiography of John Adams
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:10 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that I cannot remember the first book I ever read, I'm going with some other books I do remember from way back when.

The Star Trek Log books by James Blish. As well as Spock Must Die by James Blish. Also the Hardy Boys books and Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books.

I was given these books and I remember reading and enjoying them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #8
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I loved the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books. Not been able to find them as ebooks sadly. Jupiter Jones might have had more luck.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
I loved the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books. Not been able to find them as ebooks sadly. Jupiter Jones might have had more luck.
The name of the series was changed to The Three Investigators. Try looking for eBooks under that series name.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
No, it's not a 100% endorsement of any philosophy, but it made me think.
"Lila" taught me that going down rabbit holes wasn't productive.

Last edited by Renate; 08-19-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No single book has ever changed my life or my outlook, no matter how good, serious or thoughtful. It's more than likely that all the books I've ever read in almost 50 years (and there have been a couple of thousand at least) have had a cumulative effect I haven't consciously noticed; there have been books I've loved and books I've hated; books making me laugh, cry or both at once; books making me think and books making me dream; but a life-changing experience from reading something? Nope. I'm way too stubborn for that.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-19-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:02 AM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
No book has ever changed my life. Some I remember more than others though. Either because I liked the story they told (fiction), or because they were immensely technically useful at the time (like the CRC book of mathematical tables, or my DiffEq textbook). Those didn't change my life, but they helped me advance in it.

Nowadays I just read for fun. 100% of the time. And books that people claim have changed their lives are not usually the fun ones. They may be good books for other reasons, but "fun" is not generally used to describe them. I am highly unlikely to ever read a book that will change my life. But I hope there are still many that will make my life more enjoyable. i.e., entertain me and make me happy.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:57 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Life-changing is a high bar [...]
Very!

Looking back, I can't help questioning cause and effect. Did I read a book because my life was changing, or did my life change because I read a book? There seems no way, in retrospect, to separate the events.

And then there's the question: as profound as the impact seemed at the time, did it actually change my life? Or do I only wish that it had?

Plus the bar just keeps getting higher. As the years accumulate I've grown wary of the seemingly profound or enlightening. Should any one book ever be truly life-changing? In my cynical years I think not. Give me another perspective. Tell me the other side. There's always another side.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The younger you are, the more easily a single event, such as a book, can move you. People's minds tend to solidify over time.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The younger you are, the more easily a single event, such as a book, can move you. People's minds tend to solidify over time.
Well, it's also less likely to be both something not like anything encountered before and compelling.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote