Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2023, 07:02 AM   #1
JVGen
JVGen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite with Child Profile: Load eBooks with Calibre?

I have several eBooks in my Calibre library that I want to send to my Kindle Paperwhite and then approve for my Child's Profile so that they can read them.

I have done this successfully with books purchased directly from Amazon by navigating to the Parent Dashboard and approving books individually for the Child Profile, as is described here. eBooks rented from libraries with the Libby App also appear here and I can approve them for the Child Profile.

How can I make eBooks in my Calibre library appear in my list of books listed at my Parent Dashboard? Or, does anyone have an alternative method for loading eBooks from my Calibre library onto my Child's Profile?

Thanks for any help!
JVGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Amazon concept of Parental Control cripples the Kindle, because all non-amazon ebooks are hidden. Just cancel that and change your wifi password so they can't use WiFi or Shop. I certainly tried it and it 100% designed for ebooks bought direct from Amazon, maybe even only Whispernet, I forget.

It's a stupid system. None of the young children I know with Kindle ever had it. Some have Kobo or old Sony. It's just lock-in to Amazon.

There are literally thousands of good classic for kids PD ebooks available for free download. Kindle Parental Control makes them unavailable.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-27-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Amazon concept of Parental Control cripples the Kindle, because all non-amazon ebooks are hidden. Just cancel that and change your wifi password so they can't use WiFi or Shop. I certainly tried it and it 100% designed for ebooks bought direct from Amazon, maybe even only Whispernet, I forget.

It's a stupid system. None of the young children I know with Kindle ever had it. Some have Kobo or old Sony. It's just lock-in to Amazon.

There are literally thousands of good classic for kids PD ebooks available for free download. Kindle Parental Control makes them unavailable.
I'm surprised that there isn't a way to use the Child Profile with eBooks not purchased on Amazon, because I am able to use the Child Profile for eBooks rented from library with the Libby App.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
How do you use Libby on a Kindle?

Or are you using a Fire, which is not at all a Kindle, even during the short period it was called a "Kindle Fire"?

Though it says paperwhite in Profile.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #5
CoolJoe72
CoolJoe72 began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
You can't use Libby on Kindle e-readers They are probably using the app/web on their phone/computer, checking out the book and going through Amazon to fulfill the request which adds the book to their Amazon/Kindle library for the requested time. In short because Amazon is supplying and controlling access to the book it's available to be added to a Child Profile. Side note, books in a series rented/borrowed this way will show up as a "stacked" series assuming you have that option checked. Side side note, if you disable WiFi (enable airplane mode) the borrowed/rented books are available to read past the lending time limit, so if you need a few extra days and don't want to or can't check it out again just turn the WiFi off (assuming an update hasn't broken that feature).
CoolJoe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
JVGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How do you use Libby on a Kindle?

Or are you using a Fire, which is not at all a Kindle, even during the short period it was called a "Kindle Fire"?

Though it says paperwhite in Profile.
I use it on my phone. I rent the book and it automatically sends it to my Kindle (adult account). Then I can use my phone web browser to go to the Amazon Parent Dashboard and approve the rented book for my Child’s Profile. It then automatically shows up on the kindle under the Child Profile.

Last edited by JVGen; 08-03-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Tags
child profile, kindle paperwhite