Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
insomniux
insomniux began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
Voice to text language

As a happy new owner of a Boox Tab Ultra C, while investigating the possibilities, I came across the option of entering text by just mumbling word to the device, which then are translated into printed text, the Speech to text functionality. In general this seems to work fairly well and I'd like to start using it more seriously. I have however two questions on which I could not find an answer at Boox or in the forums:

1. Are there more languages available then English, Chinese and Japanes, and if yes where could I find them?

2. Are there speech commands with which you can enter interpunction, new lines, or delete characters.
insomniux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:19 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Good questions. I don't know.

I have my own streaming radio app that I wrote.
I was listening to news just the other day I was surprised to see a popup with scrolling text.
Huh? I didn't put that in there.
It turns out that it was Android's "Live Caption" which analyzes your audio (locally, they say) and generates captions.
Well, I turned that off!
The settings says that it is currently only available in English.

Yes, I know that this isn't what you were talking about.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2023, 04:33 AM   #3
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
1. For the languages, the availability would depend on the speech-to-text engine the device is using. If it's using something like Google's speech-to-text, many more languages should be available. You might need to check the settings or contact Boox support for an accurate list.

2. For voice commands, it varies between systems. Generally, you can say "period", "comma", "new line", or "delete" to add punctuation, create a new line, or delete characters, but you'll need to confirm if these work on your Boox.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
insomniux

That would indeed be interesting, a local voice-to-text engine. Have to wait for a localized (in my case Dutch) language module...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Good questions. I don't know.

I have my own streaming radio app that I wrote.
I was listening to news just the other day I was surprised to see a popup with scrolling text.
Huh? I didn't put that in there.
It turns out that it was Android's "Live Caption" which analyzes your audio (locally, they say) and generates captions.
Well, I turned that off!
The settings says that it is currently only available in English.

Yes, I know that this isn't what you were talking about.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
insomniux

In the Boox Tab Ultra, it has natively Android 11, Google Speech Services seems to be installed, I just found out. Not sure, though, how to install or enable additional languages. Since I assume the translation is not taken care of locally and Google supports hundreds of languages () one would expect that the speech-keyboard should sport more languages than English, Chinese and Japanese.

The interpunction commands do not work, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
1. For the languages, the availability would depend on the speech-to-text engine the device is using. If it's using something like Google's speech-to-text, many more languages should be available. You might need to check the settings or contact Boox support for an accurate list.

2. For voice commands, it varies between systems. Generally, you can say "period", "comma", "new line", or "delete" to add punctuation, create a new line, or delete characters, but you'll need to confirm if these work on your Boox.
Advert
Old 07-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
Xeko
Xeko began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Leaf 2
Hey, I wonder if there's a way to use TTS offline. Like, can I download some voices or something? And also, can I add Bing TTS service to my app? That would be awesome.
Xeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:57 AM   #7
insomniux

Just got the reply fromt Onyx support. They currently do not have more Speech modules than the three provided. But they are planning to add more. Of course they did not say anything about their time lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniux View Post
As a happy new owner of a Boox Tab Ultra C, while investigating the possibilities, I came across the option of entering text by just mumbling word to the device, which then are translated into printed text, the Speech to text functionality. In general this seems to work fairly well and I'd like to start using it more seriously. I have however two questions on which I could not find an answer at Boox or in the forums:

1. Are there more languages available then English, Chinese and Japanes, and if yes where could I find them?

2. Are there speech commands with which you can enter interpunction, new lines, or delete characters.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:03 AM   #8
snapper.fishes
Forever Junior Member
snapper.fishes began at the beginning.

Gboard has built-in STT for most languages.
snapper.fishes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, language, speech, speech to text, text entry